• Register
  • Help

Topic: Cymbal Rolls

Share/Bookmark

Cymbal Rolls

Hey, I thought I was pretty good at creating cymbal rolls with just a MIDI module and the drum kits on MIDI channel 10, but JABB doesn't seem to cooperate.

I vary the VELOCITY of the rolled notes (seems like every other note is a good start) and also the timing a wee bit. When I do this in JABB, I really get the machine-gun effect near the end.

Also, sometimes I get a dreadful sound like drum notes bunching up that sounds like a buzz-saw. After experimenting with a SINGLE cymbal, I went to two different cymbals every other note to break up the string of SAME notes for the roll. No difference in playback.

I'm using the "Sticks Cymbal" sample, not the cymbals in a drum kit. I know the cymbals are all the same as stated in the manual, but wanted individual mixing capability after recording to audio, so I used the separate cymbal sample.

Any tips on creating a cymbal roll in JABB will be appreciated.

Jack Cannon
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Re: Cymbal Rolls

First, it depends on WHAT cymbal sound you exactly use, some are good,
    some are not so good for rolls.

Second, when you e.g. set every other note, let them overlap so that
    the first hit does NOT stop when the second one comes.

If you have 4 bars and you want to hit on the 1. and the 3., the first one
    should stop at the 4. (or even later) bar and so on.

I hope this was understandable.
    Good luck,
    Tom

Thanks for responding, Tom.

Have you tried the cymbals in JABB. I did, and you are right about some being good for rolls and some not.

When you say "overlap" the notes, do you mean "notes of the same pitch?" This sometimes causes silence when the notes touch each other. I can see this as a fix for using two different pitches for the roll if the cymbal sounds are similar. Is that what you were conveying?

The roll I want is for one entire measure and then a crash cymbal sound on 1 of the next measure.

Jack Cannon
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhap2
    [...]
    When you say "overlap" the notes, do you mean "notes of the same pitch?" This sometimes causes silence when the notes touch each other. I can see this as a fix for using two different pitches for the roll if the cymbal sounds are similar. Is that what you were conveying?
    No, I use notes of the same pitch.
    My notation program is Cubase, and I've never noticed any silence,
    I'm able to overlap whatever instrument I use without problems.
    Do you use a keyboard with aftertouch? Maybe you have to suppress
    the aftertouch events to avoid side effects with the next note.
    Best regards,
    Tom

Tom:

Yes, my keyboard has aftertouch but I haven't employed it at all--at least, not until the "Brush Stir" tutorial came out.

I'll magnify the notes a little and get them as close as possible so there won't be any gaps. I have noticed, however, that when a note overlaps in the percussion samples that it cuts out the note following it. With strings, etc., no problem. I always overlap them.

Thanks again, Tom

Jack Cannon

It might be a setting in Cubase. When I have notes overlapping the next note doesn't play either. Does anyone have any ideas how to get overlapping notes to work?

I think one of the secrets to a good cymbal roll with JABB is the CYMBAL you use to create the roll. Not all cymbals sound good for cymbal rolls. Which door should I open?

Jack

Go Back to forum