• Help

Topic: DIY Midi controllers...

Share/Bookmark

DIY Midi controllers...

Hiya...

Just out of curiosity I would like to make my own,
    (1) Midi merge box,
    (2) Midi controller.

Does anyone know who make such a thing or where I can possibly find more info on this? As well as the parts required to make something like this? I think making your own could turn out cheaper than buying, say a Kenton Freak or something... Donno, I could be wrong??

Thanks!!!

meeehoon

Re: DIY Midi controllers...

Hi!

I did my own midibox, and i also own a Kenton Control Freak.

Let me tell you, the Kenton is very very bad compared to the midibox i did. Go check www.ucapps.de

The project is almost dummy proof! Very easy, it cost me around 140$ can, while the Kenton costed me 740$ can. And i ALWAYS use the MIDIBox Plus (16 faders, 8 triggers, 16 programs)...

Just after i finished the midibox, they (www.ucapps.de) just put out a 16 endless rotary encoder schema to build, this is my next thing.

16 faders on box 1
    16 endless rotary encoders for box 2

That setup is gonna be perfect!

I HIGHLY recommend anyone not too stupid and having the patience to do it, to go and DO IT! Very rewarding, and you can choose exactly the design and placement of button you want.

BTW, there is 1 single feature that beats the kenton by far, it is the \'snap mode\', that prevent the jumping of values when you change program, it not sending anything unless you kinda \'grab\' the old value with your fader.

Programming a complete preset in the midibox is a snap (30sec), doing the same thing in the kenton take me at least 30min!

Wow!!! That sure is a lot of info!!! I am a little lost though... Will read it through again properly when I have the time!!! THanks for the link!!! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Just wondering, is it hard to make a modulation and pitch bend wheel controller??? I am using a digital piano now so I am thinking of putting the midi output from the digital piano and Midi merging it with the info from a mod and pitch wheel before going into my soft sequencer... I am sure its no where near as hard as those with lots of faders and knobs???

Thanks again!!!

meeehoon

It\'s exactly the same board and circuit. So instead of putting 16 faders, in your own box, replace 2 faders by 1 mod wheel and 1 pitch bend wheel, that\'s it!

You can even trigger note-on, note-off, sysex event, program change, well, anything midi...really [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Go Back to forum