• Register
  • Help

Topic: Portamento and gliss : Saxophones

Share/Bookmark

Portamento and gliss : Saxophones

Hello,

I just receive my JABB today and trying it. Wonderful ! However, I can't use the portamento function ... is it only with other instruments ? (I didn't try anyway) ... How it works ? Can I have an exemple ?

Another question : how can we have the fall off with saxos ?

Thanks

Re: Portamento and gliss : Saxophones

Quote Originally Posted by SyQuEsT
    Hello,

I just receive my JABB today and trying it. Wonderful ! However, I can't use the portamento function ... is it only with other instruments ? (I didn't try anyway) ... How it works ? Can I have an exemple ?

Another question : how can we have the fall off with saxos ?

Thanks
    Portamento works just as it does in GPO. Here is a reprint of the explanation from the GPO update documentation:

Advanced Portamento Switching

The portamento function has been extended to an additional controller for section sustain strings, solo strings, and trombones. These instruments require more detailed manipulation of portamento so a hidden controller (cc19) has been added. This new controller can be used to switch to a layer that has pitchbend neutralized. This feature should be applied as follows: At the beginning of a sustain note (strings) or tongued note (bones) you should use standard pitch bend. For transitions between two legato or slurred notes use Portamento (cc20). For transitions from a sustain note or tongued note to a legato or slurred note use the new controller (cc19) as a switch and then apply portamento with pitch bend. This supplies a portamento tool for all practical situations. Portamento is controlled by three features: 1. Pitch wheel 2. Portamento cc20 (which is now confined to the legato layer) 3. Hidden controller cc19, which acts as a switch to an additional independent sustain group (“0” = off, “127” = on). This new group has pitch bend disabled so that pitchbend data can be applied between two notes of different groups while only affecting one of them (usually the destination note). The addition of the third controller helps solve a problem that is encountered due to the nature of the glide feature and its relation to Kontakt groups. The glide function can only be accurately used WITHIN a group (layer). Situations can arise when applying it BETWEEN layers that can confuse the glide on both intensity and direction of portamento – it all depends on the note sequence and intervallic motion between groups. By adding a third controller/group this problem can be sidestepped. In application: 1. Any slides into the first note of a phrase or separated notes (from below or above) should be applied with the pitch wheel. 2. Any portamentos in the transitions between successive legato or slurred notes can be applied with cc20. 3. Portamentos that occur across groups (e.g. from a tongue note to a slurred note or a slurred note to a tongued note) that result in intensity or direction problems can be successfully dealt with using cc19. In this situation the first note of a cross-group portamento should be a note from the new cc19 group. The second note in the portamento can be from either the standard sustain or legato group. Pitch bend can then be freely applied to the transition between notes and it will only affect the second note because pitch bend is disabled on the first note which uses the new cc19 group. Think of it this way: When Portamento data is confined to a single group, Kontakt can keep track of the data in a linear fashion. Unfortunately, there are instances where portamento is needed across groups and this programming change makes that possible. This feature is only available in section sustain, solo strings, and trombone because these instruments require extensive control of portamento to successfully emulate their intrinsic slide functions. This is definitely a feature for the advanced user. Here's a link to a tutorial on advanced portamento usage: http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...ad.php?t=33376

--------------

Saxophone falloffs are quite different than brass falloffs; they are fingered and follow decending scale patterns rather than the decending harmonic series. As such, they are simulated by slurring rapid decending scale notes. Perhaps this should be added to the list of proposed tutorial material in the next few months.

Tom

Question Re: Portamento and gliss : Saxophones

[QUOTE=Tom Hopkins]Portamento works just as it does in GPO. Here is a reprint of the explanation from the GPO update documentation:

Advanced Portamento Switching

The portamento function has been extended to an additional controller for section sustain strings, solo strings, and trombones. These instruments require more detailed manipulation of portamento so a hidden controller (cc19) has been added. This new controller can be used to switch to a layer that has pitchbend neutralized. This feature should be applied as follows: At the beginning of a sustain note (strings) or tongued note (bones) you should use standard pitch bend. For transitions between two legato or slurred notes use Portamento (cc20). For transitions from a sustain note or tongued note to a legato or slurred note use the new controller (cc19) as a switch and then apply portamento with pitch bend. This supplies a portamento tool for all practical situations. Portamento is controlled by three features: 1. Pitch wheel 2. Portamento cc20 (which is now confined to the legato layer) 3. Hidden controller cc19, which acts as a switch to an additional independent sustain group (“0” = off, “127” = on). This new group has pitch bend disabled so that pitchbend data can be applied between two notes of different groups while only affecting one of them (usually the destination note). The addition of the third controller helps solve a problem that is encountered due to the nature of the glide feature and its relation to Kontakt groups. The glide function can only be accurately used WITHIN a group (layer). Situations can arise when applying it BETWEEN layers that can confuse the glide on both intensity and direction of portamento – it all depends on the note sequence and intervallic motion between groups. By adding a third controller/group this problem can be sidestepped. In application: 1. Any slides into the first note of a phrase or separated notes (from below or above) should be applied with the pitch wheel. 2. Any portamentos in the transitions between successive legato or slurred notes can be applied with cc20. 3. Portamentos that occur across groups (e.g. from a tongue note to a slurred note or a slurred note to a tongued note) that result in intensity or direction problems can be successfully dealt with using cc19. In this situation the first note of a cross-group portamento should be a note from the new cc19 group. The second note in the portamento can be from either the standard sustain or legato group. Pitch bend can then be freely applied to the transition between notes and it will only affect the second note because pitch bend is disabled on the first note which uses the new cc19 group. Think of it this way: When Portamento data is confined to a single group, Kontakt can keep track of the data in a linear fashion. Unfortunately, there are instances where portamento is needed across groups and this programming change makes that possible. This feature is only available in section sustain, solo strings, and trombone because these instruments require extensive control of portamento to successfully emulate their intrinsic slide functions. This is definitely a feature for the advanced user. Here's a link to a tutorial on advanced portamento usage: http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...ad.php?t=33376

[FONT=ArialMT]--------------

Saxophone falloffs are quite different than brass falloffs; they are fingered and follow decending scale patterns rather than the decending harmonic series. As such, they are simulated by slurring rapid decending scale notes. Perhaps this should be added to the list of proposed tutorial material in the next few months.

Tom

Tom.,
    I'm very new to GPO and JABB. My question may not relate to this thread but I'm replying so that I can reach you. My question will be stated right after I relate my set up.
    I've been running GPO on a G4 1.5ghrz laptop with 2 gig of ram--quite functional. Got JABB and have trouble running any amount of instruments as soon as drums are involved (CPU overload I suspect). I get distortion and stalled playback. I'm planning to get a G5 in about 6 months but meanwhile I'm wondering if there is a way to get trouble free playback by doing the following.
    Write my chart in Finale 2006b monitoring without BABB
    Load a midi file of the chart into Pro Tools 6.9 (which I have)
    Manipulate playback thru Pro Tools with BABB as a plug in.
    I have have fast Glyph drive on which I keep my audio files.

I'm new to the midi world so please forgive me if this question is ignorant--I just want to see if I can get something out of BABB during the next 6 months --perhaps there's another alternative--I'm open to any and all suggestions. The library is wonderful by the way.

thank you
    Jazztao

jazztao@comcast.net

Go Back to forum