• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Recommend a good controller keyboard? Here's my plan

Share/Bookmark

Recommend a good controller keyboard? Here\'s my plan

My plan is to sell my Roland XP-80 (including the Orchestral I & II and World expansion boards in it), and use the $$ to buy a couple expensive sample libraries (like LOP and DDSW), and a pretty good controller keyboard.

So I\'m looking for advice on a good controller. Requirements: 76 keys max.. 88 is just too wide for me [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I have a small living space. Non-weighted keys. Weighted keys make the board too heavy, and I get muscle fatigue during long playing periods. And a good mod wheel.. since many Giga samples are all about the mod wheel, it\'s important to have one with high precision.

So, let the recommendations begin [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Thanks!

Re: Recommend a good controller keyboard? Here\'s my plan

Hey, this is one octave less than you desire, but look at all the other features

http://www.harmony-central.com/Newp/2002/Radium.html

sliders and knobs = yummy!!! not to mention, has a very modest price tag

muscle fatigue on weighted keys eh? maybe you need to get the Hanon exercises book :-)

passacaglia

I concur with what Lee Baske said. A fully weighted 88 keys is much better than synth-like keys simply because its so much more fun to play on and the responsiveness is just superb...

In my opinion you can\'t really go wrong with the feel and touch of Yamaha/Roland. Rolands got a lot of smaller sized keyboards to suit your needs (RS-5 and RS-9) but they don\'t come with a mod wheel which is a pain if you want to send modulation data via the stick they provide!!!

Yamaha\'s are better in my opinion simply because they give you a mod wheel and the ones I have tried are fun to use!!! For the fully weighted 88 keys, Motif8 - S90 - S08 all have the same keyboard. Only difference is that S08 doesn\'t send aftertouch message but the action is still the same... S08 is good if you don\'t need the onboard sounds and would consider buying it solely as a keyboard controller, which is great...

One thing you should also know is that with fully weighted 88 keyboard, you can adjust your touch for light, normal, heavy touch to your liking. Otherwise you can also adjust the parameters via software...

I use Logic 5 and my old Technics SX-P30 doesn\'t allow me to change the touch on the keys so I inserted a \"transformer\" to do it for me inside Logic and now works like a dandy!!! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Sorry got too carried away but if I were you, Yamaha S08 definitely...

meeehoon

Thanks for the suggestions!

Maybe I should announce my budget [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I\'m trying to stay within a certain amount, so when I sell my Roland XP-80, I can use most of the money to get some samples to replace the ones I would\'ve been using on my Roland.

I\'d like to spend no more than around $400 on a good controller keyboard. I noticed the Motif was a bit pricy. That little keyboard by M-Audio was kinda cool and affordable, but only 61 keys--yikes. But it looks like that baby was meant for GigaStudio, with all those knobs and sliders (and of course, the mod wheel). Too bad they don\'t make a 76-key version.

Any other suggestions, given my budget?

Of course a weighted key controller is essential to any composer .... as is a one with \'candy-keys\'.

i found it terribly frustrating playing organ parts on weighted keys ...so i got a lil\' Fartar for organs and soft synths. It\'s going on ebay as soon as the M-Audio Radium hits the shelves.

Just something to think about ... always nice to have both styles \'on hand\'. :-)

passacaglia

Originally posted by DanS:
    On a related note, KX-88\'s can be had rather cheaply these days. Anyone ever/still using one?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Yes I own KX88 and love it!!! Its feel is very close to a authentic key, and I had both Fatar/Korg/Kurzwell Controllers. I love the Kx88 by far!!!

Its built like a tank, and the keys to me feel like the real deal. I think its one of the best controllers out there if you are looking for a good solid piece with authentic piano feel.(except the Kawai Mp9000). I also like the Kx88 alot because it definately has cushion. The Fatar Sl 1100 series I had was not a bad piece, but my wrists started huring after a while, kinda like a dead knock, not much cushion. The Kx 88 also has breath control. The newer controller functions are obviusly not present on my Kx88, but thats what I use Sonar for.

All in all my KX88 is in immaculate condition, and I even have the users manual for it.

If you can find a good solid one, I would highly recommend it.

Now for some Cavemusic!

Caveman

Any other suggestions? (considering my $400 limit) That M-Audio Radium looks way cool.. but 61 keys only? So much for any good piano action. then again, I hardly write piano pieces.. most of my stuff is strings/horns/winds so I imagine 61 keys wouldn\'t be too much of a pain.

Thanks Meehoon, I\'m looking for an 88 weighted too. I was originally looking at the P80, but it has no mod wheel. I guess I should check out the S08, providing the action is the same as the S80/90.

Dan

On a related note, KX-88\'s can be had rather cheaply these days. Anyone ever/still using one?

Thanks Cave.
    Now I just have to hope I\'m not outbid!!

Passa, I have a D-70 for the \"candy\" keys!! ;o)

Dan

Go Back to forum