• Register
  • Help

Topic: Sample resetting vibrato out of sync

Strad violin stuttering

I don't know if 'sample resetting' is the proper technical description here, but I have noticed on many of the violins, particularly the Violin 2 Stad Solo, when a note is held for more than a few seconds it sounds like the sample is not repeating itself smoothly resulting in a quick disruption of the vibrato. It's as though the vibrato initiated by the sample does not flow smoothly when the sample repeats.

I don't know if I have described this very well but it can be clearly heard by loading the Violin 2 Stad Solo and holding a single note for a few seconds. The interuption of the vibrato is unpleasant and detracts from what is otherwise beautiful sounding violin.

I should note that this does not occur on all violins. For example, the Violin 1 Gagli Plr 1 does not exhibit this issue.

Is there something I can do to address this?

Last edited by dbmusic; 01-03-2006 at 10:24 PM. Reason: Retitled

Re: Sample resetting vibrato out of sync

Quote Originally Posted by Prince of Music
    I'm not positive that this is what you are talking about, but I'll give it a shot. I think some of the solo violins are not looped in the expected way, but actually include the change of direction of the bow, so you hear a slight dip/pause in the string tone.

Tom great call, I bet that is what he is hearing.

Re: Sample resetting vibrato out of sync

I considered it might be a change in bow direction effect, but this is more like an abrupt pause and not at all musically appealing. The effect is quite noticeable in the Strad violins. The Gagliano and Guameri violins have a very slight dip/pause that is not disruptive. But the Strads sound very much like the samples are not looping in a very transparent manner and are encountering a sort of stutter with each loop (as though there were a very brief silence at the end of each sample).

Am I the only one hearing this issue? Just play any note of the Strad Solo for more than a few seconds and it is quite apparent.

Re: Strad violin stuttering

Anyone else have any ideas as to what this stuttering gap in the sound is?

Go Back to forum