• Register
  • Help

Topic: On the Edge (Organ)

Share/Bookmark

On the Edge (Organ)(replaced mp3)

Might have been called "The Hysterical Organ". It should sound foreboding, menacing, ominous, and keep you on the edge of your seat. The left hand will have some difficulty, but the tempo is fairly slow. It would be at its best performed in a large hall, with more reverb than I ever heard in Davies Hall, San Francisco. Five minutes of tense, nervous organ. Not for evening meditation!

The scorch file is not a good way to hear it. The mp3 was made with the GPO organ, with the pedal rank messed over a bit.

On the Edge
    http://www.sibeliusmusic.com/cgi-bin...?scoreid=79761

The link will lead to three choices.

At the top, you will see a blue button to play the mp3.

Just below that, you will see the score, if you have the Scorch plugin. Otherwise, a blank where the score ought to be. Here you can view the score and listen to the Scorch playback (GM), not a good sound, usually.

Below this, under the heading of details, you will see a choice to download the mp3 file, which is the best choice if you want to hear, and don't have broadband.

Richard
    Last edited by rwayland; 12-24-2005 at 10:29 PM. Reason: Correct stupid error.

Re: On the Edge (Organ)

Hi Richard

Another very brilliant piece! I do however suspect that something went wrong with your Mp3 file, because some parts are missing from it. My suspision was confirmed when I followed the score carefully. Perhaps you could check that. It is certainly a difficult piece! But very exciting!
    Kind Regards

Louis Dekker
    My Music Site

Pour être grand, il faut avoir été petit.

Re: On the Edge (Organ)(new mp3)

Quote Originally Posted by LouisD
    Hi Richard

Another very brilliant piece! I do however suspect that something went wrong with your Mp3 file, because some parts are missing from it. My suspision was confirmed when I followed the score carefully. Perhaps you could check that. It is certainly a difficult piece! But very exciting!
    Thanks, Louis. You are quite right about the mp3. I spent all day finding a way to fix it. It was a mess. Sonar simply refused to cooperate with this particular score, and this score only! I did not find the error, but found a way to make a decent wav file, then a good mp3, now available, and I hope you find time to listen to the new mp3.

I don't know how I let that get by. A person on the Sibelius site noticed it, told me about it.

Richard

Hi Richard

That sounds better indeed, although the final beautiful chord still disappears before its time. Its strange how these inexplicable things can happen. I still say computers have minds of their own ! Anyway, problems aside, I still enjoyed that tremendously. I have to say, I'm glad I'm not the organist who has to play this piece. There are some truly virtuostic passages there in the LH !
    Kind Regards

Louis Dekker
    My Music Site

Pour être grand, il faut avoir été petit.

Fine writing on this, Richard. So many "modern" pieces for pipe organ fall on their face for lack of understanding the instrument; but this one really works wonderfully.

An enjoyable -- and interesting -- listen! I listened to this several times, and was quite intrigued by it... very subtly dramatic, and perfectly idiomatic for the instrument.

Best,

David.
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Go Back to forum