• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Another JABB trial

Share/Bookmark

Another JABB trial

Here is one of my old MIDI music re-rendered by JABB.

http://homepage2.nifty.com/yamamoto_...yroad-jabb.mp3

The tune is called "May Road". A jazz samba for quintet (flute, guitar, pf, bass and drums). The tune's name has been taken from Mt. May (Satsukiyama) in Minoo, Osaka, Japan.

Any suggestion will be highly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Last edited by Jun Yamamoto; 01-01-2006 at 09:29 PM. Reason: link update
    Jun Yamamoto
    Tokyo, Japan
    http://jun.music.coocan.jp/
    MIDI AND SAMPLING TECHNOLOGY HAS OPENED AN ENTIRE NEW WORLD OF MUSIC!

Re: Another JABB trial

wow, this is awesome. I love the beginning, unfortunately for Jazz I have no useful suggestions keep up the good work lolz. Love the flute crazy parts.
    Ke Yang (OMG I'm using mah name)
    Insert Useless Advertisement Here

My Work List With GPO

Note: You might have noticed there's nothing there, yet. Massive editing going on.

Tovan, thank you for your comment. Crazy flute is one of my favorites.

Sincerely,
    Jun Yamamoto
    Tokyo, Japan

Yun
    Nice samba groove! I like the composition and the arrangement. WELL DONE

Some suggestions: At times (in my monitors) I could use more drums and maybe even more for me I like to hear the cymbals a bit more present as in live performance. (My ears may be playing tricks, but it sounds like a fair amount of looping and quantizing which makes for very clean results, but it might be a little looser - just personal taste).

Great flute solo (which flute is it?) Nice comping throughout. Enjoyed this aspect very much. Guitar solo is also great - nice ideas. Sounds like it could use some mod wheel?) I've had the same experience with the guitars in JABB. There can be a tendency without some mod wheel to just sound like a keyboard patch. Keyboard solo is great as well.

Anyway, hope the suggestions help. Great work. Keep it coming!!

Paul

Paul
    Mac Pro 2X2.8 Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xenon, 10Gb 800 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM, OS10.6.4, Finale 2011, Digital Performer 7.1, Altiverb 6, Yamaha S90, Built-in audio, GPO, JABB, Garritan Authorized Steinway (Pro), Reason 3, M-Audio Ozone, Giovani, Symphonic Choirs, Kontakt 2, Vienna Symphonic Library. Website:http://www.paulread.ca

Thank you Paul.

The volume of cymbals are one important issue. It may be my tendency to keep ride cymbals too small. To my taste, if I increase velocity of ride cymbal to match other drum instruments, the sound becomes too aggressive to my ears. Maybe I can have a separate drum instance for specifically ride cymbal to increase volume, not velocity.

Flute is JABB solo flute. I think flute and guitar sound too MIDI or mechanical. It sounded ok with Roland SC88 but the reality increased by JABB, it sounds strange.

Yes, I will try some mod wheel for guitar. Compared to actual performance, I believe the picking is too frequent in this file.

Your suggestions are always helpful.

Thanks again,
    Jun Yamamoto
    Tokyo, Japan

Very cool Jun, I agree,... the overhead cymbals (mostly ride) needs to be a tad louder. Not velocities like you say, but simple volume increase.
    The loud crash cymbal that appears a few times sounds like tractor trailer
    air brakes, not your fault certainly, I would try a different crash cymbal, Tom Hopkins has given us a nice selection to choose from.

Very fun listening, Merry Christmas!

dp

Jun:

Outstanding composition and well played with JABB. The drum critique by Paul is well taken, however on the other suggestion about more mod wheel on the guitar--my copy of JABB doesn't have mod wheel listed for guitar, just Vel, Port, Lgth, VAR 1 and VAR 2. Am I missing something?

Jack Cannon
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Smile Re: Another JABB trial

Thank you dp!

I can spend an entire 2006 (or more) to explore this vast and easy-to-use library (JABB). There is no perfect library and it depends on all the tricks we, the users, will develop on a certain library, and I believe there begins fun.

#Just I wish I don't need set MIDI CC option everytime when I fire up SONAR for different .dll's...

Sincerely,
    Jun Yamamoto
    Tokyo, Japan

Thank you, Jack.

For your information, mod/bend wheels works on JABB guitars, though it is very difficult to generate persuasive results. They are described as "Pitchbend" (Bend Wheel) and "Aftertouch" (vibration intensity or mod wheel) in p.27 of JABB booklet.

Sincerely,
    Jun Yamamoto
    Tokyo, Japan

Thumbs up Re: Another JABB trial

VERY nice piece and good playing/ideas too. Some comments:

Flute needs a bit more breathing room in the opening statments. I'm not sure I believe that a live flute player by themselves would be able to pull that off without grabbing a full breath every once in a while. Solo sections need legato style playing where runs connect (you can also trigger some "breath" grabs in the outer range of the wind instruments to add close-mic realism).

Also - on the whole the flute solo needs more dynamics - so much of em-PHA-sis has to happen on the right syl-AH-ble in jazz. The flute was very even in volume, attack - dead "MIDI" givaways - all. There's also a control for "air" in JABB winds - try that for some of the "lower" sections - to imitate more closely what happens with a flutist moves on and off the mic at different ranges. Some of the longer flute notes need some vibrato in them in the closing statements. Overall, it's not the lacking performance from the MIDI - it's the lacking MIDI in the performance.

The ride needs EQ (I've never met a cymbal that didn't need EQ and sometimes a bit of compression).

There are some really brilliant moments in this piece, but you need to add several layers of MIDI controls and some triggers in the flute part to get it to literally "breathe". Congrats and keep going!
    Houston Haynes - Titan Line Music

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast