• Register
  • Help

Topic: Mac guy is going to build a PC (pray for him and offer advice, PLEASE!!)

Share/Bookmark

Mac guy is going to build a PC (pray for him and offer advice, PLEASE!!)

I just suffered a virtual bummer.
    I bought Kontakt and Stylus. I have a mac g4 667 and could only get 16 voices out of Kontact before it crapped out. (256 buffer).

Bummed.

But to prepare for Atmosphere (plus I could use another giga machine!) I want to build a really killer PC. Just to run Multiple Kontakts and Atmosheres (and maybe a lesser giga).

I would be greatfull for any and all advice.
    -motherboard/processor.
    - where to buy them
    -best cases (rack or tower)
    Etc

I thank you all in advance.

Ed

Re: Mac guy is going to build a PC (pray for him and offer advice, PLEASE!!)

my best advice is to work with a reputable reseller in your area. unless you know the ins and outs of hardward what drivers work with what, the particaular issues with your motherboard . you will be in for a long ride!
    its never as simple as its appears to be.
    i would look at the xeon supermicro boards with scsi drives for the gig.

or you could get in touch with Jim Roseberry at http://www.studiocat.com

an expert at PC\'s for audio (Including Giga, sequencers, audio multitracks,softsynths etc

-david abraham

I can\'t believe no one mentioned www.pricewatch.com -- tattoo that URL on the back of your hand. It\'s a must when shopping for parts to build your own machine!

I second www.newegg.com -- awesome prices, but NOT for everything. Do not make it your one-stop shop. Always shop around.

I build a new PC every couple years or so.. if you need any help or advice on motherboards, CPUs, video cards, etc., don\'t hesitate to send me a private message. But to answer your questions on parts:

Motherboard: I\'ve always bought ASUS and had no problems. Top-quality for sure. Abit is also pretty good but I personally prefer the former. If you plan on getting a SCSI hard drive, make sure the board has a built-in SCSI controller.

CPU: Athlon, hands down. Affordable and fast. Get an Athlon XP 2000 or something like that. That\'s about 1.6GHz. Don\'t pay more than $90\'ish. The way the naming scheme works for the new Athlon XPs is, the \"2000\" in \"XP 2000\" stands for 2000MHz (or 2.0GHz)--AMD claims that this CPU is as fast as a Pentium 4 2.0GHz basically, though the actual clock speed for the Athlon XP 2000 is 1.6GHz. Athlon XP 2200 is as fast as a P4 2.2GHz, and so on.

Case: www.coolerguys.com is the place to go. I recommend one of the Windtunnel cases, especially if you want to overclock or throw in an ultra-fast CPU. I regret not getting my case from there.

You didn\'t ask about hard drives, but here\'s some advice anyway: for IDE, go for Maxtor. I used to like IBM, but I\'ve had issues with them, and they even had a recall not too long ago on some of their drives (yikes!). Western Digitals are OK but I hear they can be noisy. Maxtor rocks. Quiet, fast, and just plain sweet. Fluid bearing motor! For SCSI I can\'t really offer any good advice..sorry! But I hear Seagate makes awesome SCSI drives.

One last thing: if your Athlon CPU does not come with a heatsink, that\'s a whole other big hassle. Just go for an Alpha PAL heatsink.. one of the later models. They\'re sorta pricy ($30-$45\'ish last time I checked) but well worth it. And when you get your heatsink, use isopropyl alcohol to take off the thermal tape/pad (if any), and buy some Arctic Silver III and use that instead. You can get that at CoolerGuys as well.

Good luck! Again, message me if you have any questions.

Thank You Guys!!!!!
    I assure you that I will devour everthing you post and link!
    Lee, you rule in every forum I see you in!!

Please please keep the info coming!!

ed

Lance,

Athlon has been a great choice for several years now. There\'s no point in buying a Pentium over an Athlon, really. If you doubt what I say, read up on http://www.anandtech.com and http://www.tomshardware.com -- check the reviews and benchmarks.

As far as cases, there\'s nothing wrong with http://www.coolerguys.com -- I do believe they sell cases w/ EMI/RFI shielding. Go ask on http://forums.anandtech.com/ if you want recommendations for a good aluminum case.

About AMD cpus - they really work just fine. In some cases they have better audio system performance than their Intel counterparts.

The main issues with AMD on audio machines have been with motherboard chipset and driver incompatibilies with certain sound card hardware and drivers. The Via chipsets were a big offender, but most of those issues have been overcome.

As with all the hardware choices you make, check with the manufacturers of your critical hardware (sound card, video card, motherboard, network, etc.) and be sure their are no known issues or incompatibilities.

Of course this goes for both Intel and AMD processor based systems. There are no insignificant details when it comes to making music on a computer.

Kevin

Originally posted by Lee Blaske:
    I don\'t agree. A reseller isn\'t guaranteed to know the issues, and you\'ll be making plenty of changes and upgrades as time goes on. Plus, there\'s also no guarantee that any reseller will stay in business.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">My company\'s been around for 17 years now, and I work there. Problem solved. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] We also build industrial rackmount PC\'s, I had my boss checking out Soundchaser\'s DAW systems, we are considering offering similar systems.

AS I SAID A REPUTABLE RESSELLER!
    most of the time i\'ll search the parts - price watch and price scan and ONLY if i have a few days of time do i build it - i can get the parts to a reseller and pay him a flat fee for dealing with the hardware and OS installation. one thing to really watch out for is the cards performance after installation - you may have to change pci slots to get your irqs right
    and then you can tweek your OS. see the tascam site for more info on that
    have fun

Go Back to forum