• Register
  • Help

Topic: 1st Movment of new piano sonata

Share/Bookmark

1st Movment of new piano sonata

I haven’t posted anything here in months. Well, I posted a few jokes in the worse demo contest, but nothing serious.

Anyway, here is a rough draft of the first movement of a piano sonata I am working on. It is in, more or less, classical style. I wanted to wait until the whole thing is done, but I’m impatient.

Let me know what you think of it so far.

Sonata #1, 1st Movement

(EDIT - I just listen to this on real speakers and it sounded awful. Rerecorded (hopefully it sounds better) and put up a new link.
    )
    Last edited by trentpmcd; 12-24-2005 at 05:46 PM. Reason: new link
    Trent P. McDonald

Re: 1st Movment of new piano sonata

This is a very quaint little piece and I think it is beautiful. You did a fantastic job with the GPO piano. Did you play this live? Sounds like it, because the phrasing comes through beautifully.

Are you going to post the rest of the Sonata?
    Kind Regards

Louis Dekker
    My Music Site

Pour être grand, il faut avoir été petit.

Simply beautiful and it's easy on the ears, love piano sonatas. Reminds me of Mozart lol.
    Ke Yang (OMG I'm using mah name)
    Insert Useless Advertisement Here

My Work List With GPO

Note: You might have noticed there's nothing there, yet. Massive editing going on.

Thanks Louis and Tovan.

I exported midi from Sibelius and rendered this in Cubase so, no, it wasn’t played in live. I’m not a very good pianist so I tried to make sure I would be able to play, though maybe not at the tempo I wanted or as smoothly as the sequencer.

I have a lot of the second movement in my head but not written down yet. I’m not so sure about the third movement except that it will be a rondo. When I finish them and clean up the first movement a little more I will be sure and post everything.

Thanks again for listening.
    Trent P. McDonald

Very nice job on this, Trent. Strong writing, and a quite enjoyable piece.

I know this is a rough draft, and in view of that, my suggestions might be premature; however, I think more work with tempi and dynamics (especially hairpinning, crescendi, etc., as well as dynamic variance and range) would make this already quite good rendering, superb.

Best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

David,

Thanks for listening and for the comments. I blocked out the dynamics but, as you suggest, need to do more hairpining, etc. Also more with phrasing and articulation marks.

When I finish the other two movements I will also spend more time on the rendering. Sibelius seems to output everything a little louder than I would like. I’m sure there is a way to control it but I haven’t spent enough time with it yet.

Thanks.
    Trent P. McDonald

Yeah, definitely with a piece like this -- G-d's in the details (or perhaps vice-versa). Looking forward to hearing this all finished -- we have too few piano pieces in this forum, and they receive far too little attention when they do appear.

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Hi Trent, this is a very nice piece especially so for a rough draft. I am anxious to hear the final version.

Clark

Hi Clark. Thanks for listening and for your comments. I'm about half done with the second movment and hope to be totally finished in about a month. When I'm totally finished I will post the complete work.
    Trent P. McDonald

Go Back to forum