• Register
  • Help

Topic: Any online guides to setting up giga on separate pc ?

Share/Bookmark

Any online guides to setting up giga on separate pc ?

I\'m seriously considering retaining my PIII800 pc for gigastudio alone and getting a new pIV pc for Cubase SX, VSTi\'s etc..

I \'ve had a quick search but can\'t find anything - anyone know of any useful sources for this info (apart from forums, of course !)

cheers

Re: Any online guides to setting up giga on separate pc ?

Not that much to say really.

You need to get midi in to the Giga PC (up to four ports), and audio out of it.

The cheapest way to get the midi in is using \'Midi over Lan\' (used to be Midi Replicator) from Musiclab. $30 gets you about 8 ports of midi (that\'s 128 midi channels). You then communicate midi over a LAN(of course you need the two PCs to be networked).

Other than that, you go hardware. Sometimes one or two midi ports are included on a soundcard, which can save a buck.

How you want to get audio out of the Giga PC pretty much depends on how you like to work and how much you have to spend. Anything from a cheap card with GSIF and stereo out, to a full on multi analog and digital I/O card. IF you\'re running XP make SURE you get a card with GSIF support. Giga won\'t run on XP with direct sound drivers.

Ultimately you end up with a PC which is sitting in the corner acting like any other sound module in the studio.

Chadwick,
    I have question about getting the audio back out of the Giga PC. Right now I have the audio coming from the Giga PC out on 1/4\" lines (Echo Gina) and going into my recording PC. I was wondering if (when I upgrade my Giga PCs with new sound cards), I could use TDIF or ADAT lightpipe (something like M Audio Delta TDIF) to get the audio out of Giga PC and into my recording PC (which has TDIF, ADAT inputs). I\'ve never used these before, but it would be convenient, I think.

Would there be advantages to this?

Thanks,
    Mahlon

Sounds like a great idea - no added noise.

The only negative is that you need the recording PC to be on in order to monitor the Giga PC - but that\'s probably how you\'ll work anyway.

You can find some useful guides on my web site, hope they provide enough help.

Best luck,
    Alberto

Go Back to forum