• Register
  • Help

Topic: Don Oiche úd i mBeithil

Don Oiche úd i mBeithil

okay i've not posted anything here for a while so here's an irish carol done mostly with GPO - the pipes are the only thing not GPO;
    aye i know christmas is over but my calendar was wrong.

Don Oiche úd i mBeithil
    lo-fi URL: http://www.soundclick.com/util/strea...d=3264389&q=lo
    hi-fi URL: http://www.soundclick.com/util/strea...d=3264389&q=hi

as always all criticism and offers of free beer gladly accepted

slán agus athbhliain fé shéan dhaoibh

mick ó c

Re: Don Oiche úd i mBeithil

Well, just on first hearing, here's my take. I do not recognize the tune at all, so there's no preconceptions I'm harboring. The violin inthe begining sounds very abbrasive, but of course that could just be me not being used to listening to it solo like that. The entrance of the pipes at 1:50 is wonderful! They add a depth that was really needed. The piece ends rather abruptly, but then that is the style of certain period pieces. I also thought the flute was a little... simple. I would have liked to have heard more grace notes or turns. Just my taste probably. Still, the harp part the awesome. It made for a very strong foundation of the piece. Really good job!
    C. Foster Payne
    Amateur Composer/Orchestrator

thank you for taking the time to listen and your valuable comments

the violin is wee bit abrasive but that was actually what i was trying for, the sound of a traditional fiddle. and a traditional irish small ensemble although the flute is indeed a bit too simple.
    i did this piece along with three others at fairly short notice for a children's christmas play. and it was my intention to rework it but of course i haven't gotten round to it yet.

perhaps when i get enough of the auld spondullicks i can get the strad. and redo the fiddle part.
    it is indeed a fairly old piece but how old i don't know. the abrupt ending is rather typical of the sean-nós style of playing airs.

once again thanks

mick ó c

I rather enjoyed this ... and didn't find the simplicity unfitting.

I'm half Irish, and grew up with a grandfather and great uncle who were handy with a tin whistle and a box fiddle... brought back great memories.

Go Back to forum