• Register
  • Help

Topic: CPU Suddenly through the roof?

Share/Bookmark

CPU Suddenly through the roof?

(SONAR 5 / GPO - Centrino 1.6ghz - 2gb RAM)

I've never had much of a problem with CPU use--it rarely gets too high, and when it starts to go into the yellow/red I just adjust the latency.

But lately it seems to be much higher. An orchestra with 4-5 instances of GPO (dry instruments) floats around 50%, and when the music plays it spikes into the red frequently. Adjusting the latency seems to lower the idle CPU usage, but during playback the spikes are occurring even with very high latency.

This never happened before, and I'm worried about it. I can't think of any major changes I've made to the system, and don't really know what the problem could be. What are the factors that contribute to this type of thing? Any tips on how I can fix it?

Thanks,
    chris.

Re: CPU Suddenly through the roof?

Do you have harp or piano parts with fast arpeggios? Maybe timpani rolls? These are always good at eating up CPU.

Check to see if DFD has been turned on. Recommend using GPO with it off. You'll need to reload the instruments after turning it off.

Jim

This is happening to me too. I've noticed that the new aggresive patches for garritan take a huge amount of CPU compared to the rest of the patches. Especially the ag strings.

To get around the problem until I can find an answer what I am doing is recording the aggressive tracks, or the harp runs etc to audio - and then muting the garritan track. This way I can record the piece or play it back without the CPU getting too high and peaking etc.

How do you check for DFD? I downloaded it once, but after looking in Garritan etc. I can't find any reference to it.

-Chris

The aggressive strings use many more layers and have more extensive programming than other string patches. This causes the extra CPU usage. Only use these when absolutely necessary.

Go Back to forum