• Register
  • Help

Topic: MOTU 2408II

Share/Bookmark

MOTU 2408II

I can pick up a used MOTU 2408II cheap. Worthwhile? For a DAW? Thanks.

Re: MOTU 2408II

Originally posted by dwdonehoo:
    I can pick up a used MOTU 2408II cheap. Worthwhile? For a DAW? Thanks.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">That might depend, is it going on a Mac? I\'ve read complaints in the past with MOTU\'s lack of interest and support for PC\'s, I don\'t know if it\'s that way today.

I own a Motu 2408 MKII which runs on a Mac and I think it\'s great.

Rick

This would run on a PC (as God intented [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] ). Any PC users out there with any comments?

Funny you should bring it up...

I bought the 2408 at 1/2 price about a month ago, and only just tried it today with Gigastudio; before today I was using an Echo Mia for Gigastudio playback and the 2408 for audio in Cubase SX.

In terms of the analog output, the output is not as hot as the Mia, they\'re noiser than the Mia, but the bottom end sounds a bit better and the top end is just a bit more crisp. However, in order to get playable latency, the Motu buffer has to go down to 256, or 512 at the very most (I\'m running a P4 with 512rambus and XP). At this setting, with only ONE track playing back (the MegaPiano) I get the odd click and pop. With the Mia, I have yet to experience one error in playback.

Buying the card was indeed overkill, but I do use all 8 outputs for surround mixing, so all was not a total waste. I don\'t use it for Gigastudio because frankly it was quite outperformed by my $250 Mia. I haven\'t used the ADAT, TASCAM or standalone converter functions, so I can\'t comment on that.

Thanks. I love the Mia that I have. Maybe I should stay with Echo.

I would stick with the Echo stuff. I have Echo Gina\'s in 2 machines and have had absolutely no problems. I almost went the 2408II route, but was able to borrow one of my bosses backups (I know, it sucks, he has two backups just in case his others go down - if only I had that kind of money)...sorry for the tangent. BTW my boss runs the MOTU stuff with Mac\'s. Anyway I had nothing but issues with the 2408 (latency problems and major pops) and I tried it on P4 2.4 Ghz and a P3 800 Mhz.

Echo is the winner over the 2408II on a PC from my experience. Hope that helps! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Go Back to forum