• Register
  • Help

Topic: Audiophile and gigastudio on standalone pc.....

Share/Bookmark

Audiophile and gigastudio on standalone pc.....

hi

I am about to set up my gigastudio on my old PIII 800 pc with audiophile 2496 soundcard and windows XP.

The new sequencing/vsti pc will be based around a P4 2.4 with rme multiface.

Will this setup work OK ?

Are the audiophile GSIF drivers up to the job ?

cheers

swayzak

Re: Audiophile and gigastudio on standalone pc.....

Hello,

Some things to keep in mind about your new system:
    * How much ram do you plan on having
    * What version of gigastudio (96, 164)?
    * How large will the samples be that you\'ll be loading?
    * How fast is your hard drive?

I have a P4 2 gigahertz, 512 megs RAM, Giga 96, Audiophile 2496 with XP and have some problems but I think most of my problems deals with the complexity of what I am trying to do. If I never went beyond 16 midi channels, medium sized samples, and reasonable complexity midi files I think my setup would be more than adequate. Unfortunately, I load huge midi files (40 staves, 500 measures, 32 channels), moderately large samples, and I always have these three problems:

1.) Crackling and popping (which seems common on the audiophile 2496 from what I\'ve seen on this message board)
    2.) Error code 5: unable to allocate memory when loading the samples (very frustrating!)
    3.) Slow down and drop outs on the MIDI during more complex polyphony. This is especially noticeable with reverb so I think this is a problem with the CPU or motherboard not being quick enough.

Re: Audiophile and gigastudio on standalone pc.....

Which version of GigaStudio are you wanting to install?

If you are talking about GS3 Orchestra, you are really at Tascam's "minimum" system requirements, both with processor speed and RAM:

http://www.tascamgiga.com/GigaStudio3FAQs.php

I personally would suggest 1.5GB or 2GB of RAM.

Go Back to forum