• Register
  • Help

Topic: What's a good chipset for a dedicated GigaStudio machine?

Share/Bookmark

What\'s a good chipset for a dedicated GigaStudio machine?

I did some pricing today.. looked at some ASUS boards. It seems they come in four different chipsets now (for AMD CPUs): ALi, nVidia, SiS, and VIA.

Can someone suggest a decent chipset to go for? I have an Audiophile 2496, in case it matters. I\'m thinking either the ALi or VIA maybe. VIA has had probs in the past.. I\'m sure their current stuff is OK. Right? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Thanks

Re: What\'s a good chipset for a dedicated GigaStudio machine?

Originally posted by MDesigner:
    I did some pricing today.. looked at some ASUS boards. It seems they come in four different chipsets now (for AMD CPUs): ALi, nVidia, SiS, and VIA.

Can someone suggest a decent chipset to go for? I have an Audiophile 2496, in case it matters. I\'m thinking either the ALi or VIA maybe. VIA has had probs in the past.. I\'m sure their current stuff is OK. Right? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Thanks
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I\'ve had some decent luck with Via, and some really bad luck with ALi. If you\'re serious about compatability, consider going Intel. You can build an Intel machine for just a tad more than a comparable AMD system, and rest easy knowing that it\'d work well. Stick with an Intel chipset too. I had some issues with my Terratec card on a Via board, as soon as I put it in the Intel board.. Giga worked. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Well, if I go with Intel, then there go my plans for a Duron 1.2GHz (a mere $37!). I could go for a Celeron I suppose.. a Celeron 1.2GHz would run me around $60.

PS: Would you recommend installing Win2000 instead of XP?

Originally posted by MDesigner:
    Well, if I go with Intel, then there go my plans for a Duron 1.2GHz (a mere $37!). I could go for a Celeron I suppose.. a Celeron 1.2GHz would run me around $60.

PS: Would you recommend installing Win2000 instead of XP?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I dual-boot between 98SE and XP. For the life of me, I couldn\'t get Giga to work under XP, but it works great under 98SE, so why fight it? [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Are you in the USA? Get the Celeron 1.7GHZ, I think that the 1.2ghz is the Socket 370, the 1.7GHZ is the Socket 478. You\'ll have a clearer upgrade path if you ever decide to go with a P4. I\'ve got the Asus P4B533 board, it\'s great. I bought a P4 1.6A CPU and overclocked it to 2.4, it runs like a champ. The Asus board lets you overclock the frontside bus, AGP bus, PCI bus, and Memory seperately. I\'ve got the RAM running at 300mhz, the FSB running at 150mhz, and the AGP/PCI running at 66/33 (stock speeds.) It\'s rock stable.

Go Back to forum