• Register
  • Help

Topic: Sample rate advice needed

Share/Bookmark

Sample rate advice needed

Hi there,

I do record audio in Cubase VST at a bit rate of 24 bit and a sample rate of 96k, and recently used the GPO VST-plugin at some projects. When loading a few instruments (e.g. orchestral percussion, some brass and strings) I noticed some pops and cracks and music slowing down at playback, even after lowering the ASIO buffer size to 256. Although these pops and cracks and slowing down were not noticable in exported audio, it is annoying during playback.

Somewhere in this forum I read that GPO is intended to be used at a sample rate of 44.1k (although I am not sure if this concerns GPO Studio or the GPO VST-plugin); can this be the source of my problem?

I prefer to record at 96k, export the project to audio and then lower the sample rate of the exported audio in an audio editor (sound forge), because I think this delivers the best audio quality. Can I maintain this working method or shoud I lower the sample rate in Cubase to 44.1k at the start of a project?

Many thanks in advance!

Volmorth

P.S. my pc setup is: Pentium 4, 2.8 Ghz, 1024 Mb DDR RAM, Windows XP Home, Cubase VST 5.1, ST Audio Media 7.1 sound card

Re: Sample rate advice needed

It's best to work with multiples of 44.1 KHz such as 88.2 KHz. Tom Hopkins brought up this topic on a past post that you may want to search for.

Most of the sample libraries are at 44.1 KHz and either 16 or 24 bit. I always record at 24-bit 44.1 KHz for my projects as it's easiest on my system and gets excellent results.

Jim

Hey Volmorth,

I don't believe using a sample rate higher than 44.1kHz buys you anything. Your computer will resample the GPO data at 96kHz, but because the original samples were recorded at 44.1kHz, they aren't going to sound any better. Basically you'll just make your computer work twice as hard for no reason .

Though perhaps I'm missing something (I'm assuming your project consists entirely of GPO stuff).

John

GPO is only a relatively small part of my projects (approx. 5 out of 30 tracks in an average project), the rest is other recorded audio like guitars and vocals and a drum software sampler which is controlled by midi.

Quote Originally Posted by Volmorth
    Hi there,

I do record audio in Cubase VST at a bit rate of 24 bit and a sample rate of 96k, and recently used the GPO VST-plugin at some projects. When loading a few instruments (e.g. orchestral percussion, some brass and strings) I noticed some pops and cracks and music slowing down at playback, even after lowering the ASIO buffer size to 256. Although these pops and cracks and slowing down were not noticable in exported audio, it is annoying during playback.
    I normaly work with 44.1/24 bit, you will have a hard time to find differences
    between 44.1 and 88.2 (or in your case 48 and 96).

If you import 24bit/96 kHz Samples your 1 GB memory is most probably
    your problem, your VST host has to stream a lot of data from disk during
    replay.

A simple workaround would be to do everything in 24bit/44.1 kHz until
    your music is completed, then replace these 44.1 kHz samples with
    your 96 kHz samples and export it to audio.

Tom

Go Back to forum