• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: OT: Film Music

Share/Bookmark

Smile OT: Film Music

I've just been to see Narnia, and it totally blew me away how well the music worked. I bought the soundtrack last week, and quite frankly thought it was unmemorable muzak. But then when I heard it with the film, it supported it just perfectly, without ever drawing attention to itself.

I've always heard people say that a good soundtrack is one which you don't remember hearing, and that good film music doesn't necessarily bear listening to by itself. I never believed it though. I thought the people who criticised John Williams for always being too much in the foreground were just jealous, but I'm starting to rethink.

Re: OT: Film Music

I personally believe that good music is good music. To me, being good music and being a good score are two completely different things. I've heard many soundtracks to movies that are rather unremarkable and boring if listened to on their own, but when in the context of the movie, are perfectly placed and does the job it was intended to do. On occations I do here a score that both fits the movie well and I really enjoy listening to on it's own.
    Tim

Never understand why one wants to seperate a filmscore from the film. Study purposes? Nostalgia?
    Who knows?

Study purposes is always a good one to me. But if it's for study in terms of the score - then study with the film too.

I me film scores sound better be if have watched the film, so the specific music usually reminds me of something and for some reason I enjoy it more.

Anyways....

Some scores are done for the movie specifically (take the recent Jarhead) and aren't that great outside of film. Some sound great both in and out (take the recent Memoir's of a Geisha). Some of my favourite composers like Thomas Newman have the ability to make music that is *perfect* in-film and yet also sound great outside of it. Some composers try too hard to make their music complex and memorable and such.

I don't get why people don't think film music should be kept in film....music is music no matter where it is....

I've always heard people say that a good soundtrack is one which you don't remember hearing, and that good film music doesn't necessarily bear listening to by itself.
    Personally, I think a good soundtrack is one that, after watching the film, you realize contributed as much to the film's appeal as anything else, one which enhances the film rather then just support it.

The better the movie the more the score has a supporting role. The worse the movie the more the score has to stand out in front and carry the movie.

I've been scoring a series of mediocre films lately and I'm amazed at how much music has to carry the film and how over the top I have to get in order to make the film work.

I suspect that Narnia is a pretty decent film. The composer then has the job of supporting the picture. Pictures like "Jaws" on the other hand has real problems. Problems that lead Spielberg to admit that without the score Jaws wouldn't have amounted to much.

I actually know a few really top composers and orchestrators out there that actually like to work on bad films. That way they get the leverage to write whatever music they want to. It's an interesting way of looking at the business and once I switched my viewpoint I started to work quite a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by TheOne{
    I don't get why people don't think film music should be kept in film....music is music no matter where it is....
    What's the most important aspect of a film?

Quote Originally Posted by PaulR
    What's the most important aspect of a film?
    Uh..................

I think people buy (or used to buy) soundtrack CD's for that one or two cues that stuck in their minds, like the front/end credits or montage sequence (for example Rocky's theme) but seldomly does one enjoy every track. A good example of a soundtrack that makes a good transition (but not perfect) to listening as CD is The Mission which is pretty chock full of catchy musical tracks. There are many others of course, but for example if you buy the soundtrack to The Ring, it won't be particularly interesting to listen to by itself except for one or two tracks. Talking about the Ring, I think LOTR is also one of those soundtracks that for the most part doesn't make much sense without the movie except for a few tracks.
    >>Kays
    http://www.musicbykays.com
    Music Composition for Feature Films, Television and Interactive Entertainment

Quote Originally Posted by TheOne{
    Uh..................
    Uhhh! Very simple question.

Quote Originally Posted by ArsNova
    The better the movie the more the score has a supporting role. The worse the movie the more the score has to stand out in front and carry the movie.

I've been scoring a series of mediocre films lately and I'm amazed at how much music has to carry the film and how over the top I have to get in order to make the film work.

I suspect that Narnia is a pretty decent film. The composer then has the job of supporting the picture. Pictures like "Jaws" on the other hand has real problems. Problems that lead Spielberg to admit that without the score Jaws wouldn't have amounted to much.

I actually know a few really top composers and orchestrators out there that actually like to work on bad films. That way they get the leverage to write whatever music they want to. It's an interesting way of looking at the business and once I switched my viewpoint I started to work quite a bit.
    All of the above worries me intensely.

Go Back to forum