• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: How to create a pro harp glissando with midi.

Share/Bookmark

How to create a pro harp glissando with midi.

Hi I just red an article from garritan about harp glissando`s. I use harp glissando`s in my tracks, but they were generated before or only are "smaller, slower" glissandos, not those big hollywood-like glissandos as we know from Disney Films . In the notation you normally write "gliss" or "glissando" over a line and put it above the notes. But I want to do it only with midi.

Got anyone any tips or manuals to study about creating a harp glissando only with midi without a masterkeyboard?

Thanks!
    Last edited by a2rproductions.com; 12-29-2005 at 01:35 PM. Reason: clearer description
    A2R Productions
    Music Productions

www.a2rproductions.com

Re: How to create a pro harp glissando with midi.

Make the midi notes time aligned in an "S-shape". A gliss with a particular begining and end note starts slow, gets fast, then slows again at the end. Alternatively, just go slow to fast, then let the strings ring.

-JF

If you want it to be playable and actually accurate then you'd need to know how the harp works relative to the key you're in.
    The pedals make some notes not playable in some keys for a gliss.

I have a brother who is a musicologist and orchestrator
    and I just always call him up and say something like "gliss in F#
    ...which notes can and can't be used?"

There must be some info somewhere.

Maybe the following link can help (it is for the "Glissando Harp" patches in Garritan Personal Orchestra)...

http://northernsounds.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34138

In that thread, I have posted links to some standard MIDIFiles (6th topic in the thread, but read it all anyways!) which generate lots of different authentic harp glissandos (named, of course!), when using one of the "Harp Glissando" patches in Garritan Personal Orchestra, and simply doing an "all-white-note" glissando on the keyboard.(the MIDI file just sets up the GPO harp to play the correct notes, but the actual performance is the way you do the glissando on your keyboard). Each is just a short MIDI file which can be drag'n'dropped into your project.
    Related...if anyone is using Cubase SX/SL 2 or 3, here's another link providing a download to files which can be imported, allowing to select and play all these glissandos in realtime, via keyswitches...

http://northernsounds.com/forum/show...p+MIDI+packets

It's actually a lot easier than it at first reads!

Hey, great thread guys 'cause coincidently i was thinking of EXACTLY the same thing yesterday.

I actually slowed down a real harp glissando (a fast one going upwards) to hear what the notes where and in many occasions the harpist plays the same note twice (real fast). I think it's because they alternate hands perhaps. So it could be:

C3, E3, G3, C4, C4, E3, G3, C4, E4, E4 etc.

Or something like that, you get the picture. And it works as well when you make the notes real fast.
    Theo Krueger - Composer

www.TheoKrueger.com

Kontakt 2 Scripts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_Karl
    I have a brother who is a musicologist and orchestrator
    and I just always call him up and say something like "gliss in F#
    ...which notes can and can't be used?"

There must be some info somewhere.
    Steve,

Please post your brother's phone number so Garritan can include in his documentation...

Happy New Year!

Quote Originally Posted by Theodor
    in many occasions the harpist plays the same note twice (real fast). I think it's because they alternate hands perhaps.
    Hey Theo.... do you mean the enharmonic notes in a glissando instead?

It's like a C major pentatonic glissando will actually be :

C, D, E, Fb, G, A, B#, C

So in very fast playing you will be only hearing a quick succession of C, D, E, G, A, C.

I always use 3 MIDI channels to imitate a real slow glissando if I want those enharmonic notes to be heard. It's like for the above scale, I will make one big gliss on white key first, then copy it to two other tracks. Then remove all the F's and B's from the first track. Then remove every note except F's from the second track, and detune it (pitch bend) down a semitone. Then remove every note except B's on the third track, detune it by raising a semitone, then you will have a glissando that "sounds" really like what a harpist will do.

Cheers,
    Frankie

EDIT : here is a short example of a Bb diminished 7th chord, playing in normal speed and slowly.

http://www.frankieho.com/music/harpgliss_fast.mp3
    http://www.frankieho.com/music/harpgliss_slow.mp3

The tuning of the strings is for this scale is Bb, C#, Db, E, Fb, G, A#.
    Dell Precision T3500 (Xeon W3520, 12GB RAM) / Windows 7 x64 / Sonar 8 / VE Pro / WIVI 2.3 / Kontakt 4 / G-Player 1.2

Hey Frankie! Sorry i didn't make my point so clear, i'm not very familiar with music theory

I meant that the glissando's often have the same note twice in a row, so the player might play C twice in a row, then after a 3 or 4 notes notes play G twice in a row and so on.

That's why the glissando can rise for so long and play so many notes from the bottom to the high registers in so little time while if you play each note only once, the glissando finishes too early or doesn't "rise" enough.

I'll make a small midi file and post it so you can see what i mean 'cause i hardly understand what i'm saying myself
    Theo Krueger - Composer

www.TheoKrueger.com

Kontakt 2 Scripts

FrozeN is absolutely right.. a glissando must be able to play on all strings, so by setting the pedals for each CDEFGAB to flat, natural or sharp, different scales/arpeggios can be obtained.
    So for example, the notes for C diminished would be..
    C natural
    D sharp
    E flat (which is why you'd effectively be hearing the same D sharp note twice )
    F sharp
    G flat (so you'd hear that twice too)
    A natural
    B sharp (which would effectively repeat the C natural note)

Quote Originally Posted by Theodor
    I meant that the glissando's often have the same note twice in a row, so the player might play C twice in a row, then after a 3 or 4 notes notes play G twice in a row and so on.
    Oh yes, those are enharmonic notes actually. I think vic_france explained it better and more concise than me too!

And that explains why not all chords are possible to be played as glissando on a harp too.

For example, a C7 chord is theoretically impossible to be played as a glissando since the tuning will be

C natural
    D (neither flat, natural nor sharp will fit in a C7 chord)
    E natural
    F flat
    G natural
    A sharp
    B flat

But a E7 chord is easy with the tuning :

E natural
    F flat
    G sharp
    A flat
    B natural
    C flat
    D natural

Of course, all major, minor and whole tone scales are possible on the harp, just don't ever try doing a chromatic glissando on a harp though!

Cheers,
    Frankie
    Dell Precision T3500 (Xeon W3520, 12GB RAM) / Windows 7 x64 / Sonar 8 / VE Pro / WIVI 2.3 / Kontakt 4 / G-Player 1.2

Go Back to forum