• Register
  • Help

Topic: What's The Best Computer Setup?

Question What's The Best Computer Setup?

Here's the deal. What is the best Computer setup?
    Ideally, I would like to play back a full orchestration without popping noises (a problem that many users are having even with "lite" instruments).
    So if one were to have the ultimate setup to avoid CPU overload issues what would it be? PC- AMD or Intel- or MAC? What do the developers use?
    I am planning to build a computer (I build all my PCs) specifically for playback purposes only. It seems that having a dedicated computer for this purpose is the answer- one without all the garbage we tend to collect on our personal computers on a daily basis.
    I am aware that sample playback programs such as Gigastudio require a freshly installed and tweaked OS in order to perform at its peak. Would this be helpful for JABB, GPO and Kontakt?
    Obviously, it seems that one should get the fastest processor and the most memory he can afford. Here is my current setup:
    Windows XP Pro
    Athlon XP 2800 (2.12 Ghz)
    Asus A78VX MoBo (VIA KT400)
    1.5 GB Ram
    M-Audio Audiophile 192 soundcard
    (all latest updates and minimal stuff running in background)

This does not seem to be enough computer for playing back a full jazz ensemble orchestration (5/4/4/4) without "pops". All levels have been checked and rechecked. The pops seem to occur when CPU usage exceeds about 43%. This is also using all "lite" instruments with the exception of the following instruments (alto 1, tenor 1 and trumpet 1). The popping gets much worse when using Ambience too.
    So, in conclusion, I am willing to upgrade to get this right. I would like to know what folks are using who are having success (specifically the developers of Garritan software).

Many thanks in advance...

Re: What's The Best Computer Setup?

OR... how about anyone out there who can record and replay a full Big Band without pops & crackles letting us know what hardware they use?

... I think this would be really useful information. (But, I'd still just love to know what Tom & Gary use for dev and test)

Well, I can play Tom Hopkins' arrangement in Sonar 5PE with 4 instances of JABB. No rice crispies.

Windows XP x64, Sonar 5 PE, 4GB RAM, Gigabyte GA-K8NXP-9, AMD Athlon 64 x2, Gigabyte GF 7800GT, E-MU Emulator X Studio.

However, this won't suit people who have plugs that aren't able to run under 64bit.

Hope this helps,

Thanks Laurence.

Anyone know for sure if the Dual core thing actually helps or not - (specifically regarding JABB and not the sequencer.)
    I've seen some comments that indicate dual core Processors and also Hyperthreading may be of no value.

Increase your latency time. Your CPU shouldn't be sputtering at 45%. I noticed this helped my setup dramatically. I can do without much worry. If I decrease the latency I get some crackles. Shouldn't have to change it so much as to notice a sinificant delay between the depressed key and the sound.

Write your default setting down. If this doesn't work you can always reset the latency.

Thumbs up Re: What's The Best Computer Setup?

Just for information:
    I assembled the following system and it works perfectly with 5,5,4 big band plus full rhythm section - all playing simultaneously in a shout. I'm using Cubase SX3 or sometimes Sibelius 3.

Athlon Dual Core 4400+ processor
    Asus motherboard
    2Gb fast memory (Corsair matched pair of DDR memory with low latency numbers)
    Basic video card
    160 Gb 7200 rpm hdd

Emu 0404 sound card

Go Back to forum