• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: What Are You Doing New Year's Eve?

Share/Bookmark

What Are You Doing New Year's Eve?

What are you doing New Year's Eve? I will be sitting in my dry little house in the redwoods while the rain continues to pour down around me and will probably keep me marooned for a couple of days. The road to town has left me stranded already, and probably is under water again. In a few more hours, the river will probably overflow while the rains continue, and even if I could get through the flooded road, the river flooding would keep me from getting through town or to anywhere in the tiny little place. Goodby mail delivery for a few days. Well, it looks like a good time to catch up on piano practice and composing. If the power does not fail (a frequent occurence here) I might even get the music entered into my computer. For safey, I will print off a few more pages of blank manuscript paper now, while I can. I don't mind the rain, keeps the tourists away and the deer get enough water that they don't need to eat the foliage in my gardens!

Richard

Re: What Are You Doing New Year's Eve?

Well, by golly, Richard, I don't think I can match that!

We're supposed to get a mess of snow up here; but heck, they should have that plowed out in a few days.

Other than that, I usually make a point of sleeping through midnight on New Year's -- though I'm rarely asleep at that hour, otherwise.

I figure it sets a good example.

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    -

I'll be playing some shows at "First Night Spokane" and enjoying the time with my family.

Very best wishes for a happy and healthy 2006 to everyone!
    www.EricHermanMusic.com
    - Cool Tunes for Kids -

Getting drunk with my in-laws!
    Dan Powers
    www.danielpowers.info

"It's easier to be a composer than it is to compose."
    --Ray Luke (1928-2010)

Traditionally Mrs. G and I start the new year by watching a Marx Borthers movie to ring in the new year with some laughs. Weather permitting we go atop Mount Constitution and take in the view.

But this year chat falls on New Year. So I hope to spend some time with my forum friends.

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    Traditionally Mrs. G and I start the new year by watching a Marx Borthers movie to ring in the new year with some laughs. Weather permitting we go atop Mount Constitution and take in the view.

But this year chat falls on New Year. So I hope to spend some time with my forum friends.

Gary
    At our household, we never miss The Three Stooges Marathon... lol. It always seems so appropriate to the human condition.

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    -
    P.S.:
    Hope you got my thank-you note, Gary!

Almost certainly sitting here. In this chair, surrounded by monitors, working (or playing in the eyes of some).

In years passed I always held a party for my closest circle of friends.

I have often described the time period from Thanksgiving through Christmas as the time of year when solitary folks don't have friends. Everyone is off doing 'family things' and in spite of good intentions like invitations to their family functions (which are awkward at best, and better declined) it can be lonely even to those who normally desire to be alone.

New Years eve was the payback. It became the tradition to come back together at my place on New Years eve. Children were positively *NOT* welcome. I would decorate the place to the point of absurdity. (I'd start on Thanksgiving day and never stop) Somebody would end up at the C3, another at the B3 for dueling Hammonds. There'd be a few guitars, violins, cellos, horns, whatever came to hand, but... that was too much like work for many of these folks. The big thing was the annual videogame tournament. NOT a bunch of people sitting on the couch. I had one of those giant controller consoles you stand at that they make for department store displays. Now *that's* how you play Zaxxon, or Battlezone or...

This would go on for hours, pausing at midnight to listen for and likely contribute to the gunfire and other small explosions. (I lived out in the country. WAY out in the country, but sounds carry). Sometimes the party went for two days. Or more.

There would be a few calls from friends overseas. This was a fairly small group so if there *was* a new addition, there was the often difficult process of having to convince the person that the overseas calls were real. (they were)

No more. Those times and many of those friends have passed forever, and the rest scattered and there will be no more parties.

Sooooo this year I will sit here, stare into screens and put on a cheezy New Years eve broadcast in the background. Loud enough to hear and know there's a world out there. Soft enough to be able to hear if some fool tries to set the woods on fire with ilegal fireworks.

This aint California. This aint the country, and *these* people are *dangerous* with explosives.

Best wishes to all for the New Year, and try to stay off the roads.

Michael

Sitting at my computer alone...again...

EDIT: What a depressing 400th post..
    ~Sam Ferrara~

My, what a fine bunch of rowdy musicians!!

Since I too am depressingly single these days and not been into the cover gig thing for years it looks like I'll be sitting home as well. Feels weird to be not only in the 2000's but sliding into the second half of them ta boot. I think I'll pop 2001: a space odyssey into the projector. I've been on a Kubrick kick lately anyway.

I'll be gigging with the band at a place called the Champany near Linlithgow, 1am finish and head back home to join the party.

Go Back to forum