• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: OT: How did you fall in love with music, and what's your musical journey so far?

OT: How did you fall in love with music, and what's your musical journey so far?

It's my brithday today, and I'm sick (been sick for over a week now). Just got home from dinner with friends--ate a big ~~~ piece of cake. I'm so stuffed... Since it's also New Years Eve, I guess I'm in an introspective mood, so I was just wondering what all your personal milestones/important memories were that made you fall madly in love with music and became who you are today.

For me, I remember a few distinct periods/incidences that were the most important memories that lead up to today.

When I was around 9, I found a cassette tape of Richard Claderman's music. I would listen to it at night before going to sleep, and I'd love it so much that I tried to stay awake as long as I could and keep on listening to it over and over. I think that was my first time realizing how magical melody can be and how it can affect your mood in ways you can't explain.

When I was around 13, I fell in love with film/animation scores. The main culprit was Japanese animation scores--all masterfully composed and performed. One in particular--the score for Macross: Do You Remember Love? (a sci-fi epic drama involving a love triangle and alien invasion) had a beautiful score that combined classical, jazz, fusion, pop..etc in a way I had never heard before. Some tracks had gorgeous 19th Century French impresisonistic lush strings with jazzy flute solos on top, or a majestic brass section blasting away while an electric guitar jammed out awesome fusion guitar solos on top of sweeping strings. Sakamoto Ryuichi's score for Royal Space Force: Wings of Honneamise also floored me--such artistry and creativity, with cutting edge avant-garde sensitibilities, yet firmly grounded in classical traditions. Some tracks featured opera singing on top of synth arrangements, some had middle-eastern styled electric guitars on top of aggressive electronic beats, some had ambient soundscapes with classical piano playing on top--all just drop-dead gorgeous. Those scores were the straw that broke the camel's back--I just knew I wanted to make music for the rest of my life.

When I was around 15, I discovered alternative/underground music (modern rock, synth pop, shoegaze, industrial, goth,..etc). The socio-politial messages and the innovative approach that differed so much from mainstream music really hooked me. It was intelligent music made with real passion--not just radio friendly fodder that the other kids listened to. Bands like XTC, The Smiths, New Order, Depeche Mode, Ninch Inch Nails, The Sundays, Cocteau Twins, Bigod 20, REM, Meat Beat Manifesto, Consolidated, U2, Concrete Blonde..etc really opened my eyes to a different world of music.

Around that same time, I also fell in love with electronic music--from progressive house stuff like 808 State, LFO, Orbital, Young American Primitive, Single Cell Orchestra, to the pioneers like Kraftwerk, Yello, Art of Noise, Yellow Magic Orchestra, Tangerine Dream..etc. Electronic music showed me that unconventional approaches to musical structure is just as valid and rewarding, and often more innovative and refreshing than the established ways of making music.

During those years I really got into jazz as well--also because of Japanese animation scores, and a local jazz fusion radio station. Once you fall in love with jazz it's a whole different world of sonic possiblities, and you could never look at music the same again. A whole new approach to using unconventional timbres, improvisitions, constantly shifting rhythmic elements..etc really opened up my eyes.

After those early years of being exposed to a wide range of musical styles, I became anti-musical tunnel vision. I wanted to keep an open mind and give all styles of music a chance as that can only be a good thing for you, and IMO, much more fulfilling creatively. I could never understand those guys who only passionately play heavy metal or funk or country or classical. To me, they're missing out on so much more fun they could also be having. It's almost like only watching one genre of film for the rest of your life--kind of a waste.

Around my mid-20's I started to pay more attention to classical music, and that lead to a better understanding of film scores as well, since so much is borrowed from classical music. I also started paying more attention to progressive rock, as I find the superior musicianship fascinating--although not always emotionally satisfying.

Now I'm in my early 30's (I turned 33 today), I hope to go on exploring as many different styles and try to incorporate them all into my own sonic palette. I never had supportive parents--they did not allow me to take music lessons--no matter how I begged. I had to take matters into my own hands when I turned 18--by buying a synthesizer and a 2-track sequencer. I learned everything on my own--by ear, by reading books..etc. But that lack of formal education is a real handicap and the greatest regret of my life. It's something I have to live with everytime I create music.

I played in an industrial band in my late teens/early 20's, then went to Taiwan to write songs for record companies (pop songs for big name celebrities). But it seemed like my art career was the better success, so music always remained a moonlighting thing, and often had to take a backseat and remain just a passionate hobby. In the last couple of years I've had more freetime on my hands, so I've started to slowly get back more into music--putting together a DAW, buying sample libraries, learning modern sequencers..etc. I toy with the idea of going back to school just for music, but at my age, making a living is top priority, especially that I'm married. I can't just run off and spend 4 years studying composition at some college. Maybe I could when I retire?

Today, I still compose by ear, and try to learn as much music theory as I can get my hands on. I play keyboard, drums, and guitar, but I'm mediocre at them--just enough to get by for recording my own music. I could never be a session player or anything. My current focus is to strenghthen my orchestral and jazz chops and advance music theory. I have no desire to make a living with music, as my wife and I have our own business ventures--and they allow a lot of freetime at home. Composing for a living would mean less freedom, and the money isn't very good anyway. However, when I feel I'm good enough to take on some gigs composing for games or other things, I would probably do it just for the experience. As long as our business ventures remain profitable, I could just go on making music for the love and never consider making a career out of it. Well, my art career is probably a lot more bankable anyway.

So, now let's hear your story.

Re: OT: How did you fall in love with music, and what's your musical journey so far?

Wow Rob, that's a big story!

I went to your site, I'm impressed by your photography and artwork as well! And you've got a beautiful wife as well... Sugoii ne!

I began my musical journey about 7 years ago when I picked up my first guitar. I inherited an old 50's electric guitar from my uncle and started practising on it. I was already very enspired by progrock bands like Camel and also the great band Pink Floyd and started to listen to the guitarleads and tried to figure them out myself by ear and played along after a while...

At that time a friend of mine played acoustic guitar alot. Mainly just chords. When he was playing and I was tinkering with another guitar I found out I could play little leads over the chords he played and so began my composing ... from playing leads over a set of chords and later recording electric guitar riffs and chords myself and playing the leads onto them.

I also got interested in orchestral work and started working with soundfonts and began writing compositions with them which went pretty well accually. It was my basis to get to Gigasamples. A little later I met Herman Witkam who was looking for a lead guitarist for his metalband and I applied to that request. After a while we both got into orchestral writing with soundfonts and gradually worked our way up with Gigasamples.

A friend of mine, who is a filmproducer, told me my stuff sounded like it could work for soundtracks or gamemusic so he offered me if I was interested to write some music for a shortfilm. So I did and I wrote about 2/3min of music for a little "Indiana Jones" like animationshort called Temple Tumble which is also on my site. After that I got more and more into scoring for film.

Finally I decided to go to a Music School where they have the study "Composition for the Media" I'm now at my second year as well as Herman, he joined me at this school.

I've written a good deal of shortfilms now, one of which, Paradox, has been send to alot of big festivals and which also premiered in London a few weeks ago, where I went to and met the whole crew and cast. Now I'm learning alot of compositional techniques like 12tone systems, Curve Technique and the systems Debussy and Bartok made use of.

Currently I'm working on a concertpiece inspired by the book of Paul Gallico called, The Snowgoose. The band I mentioned earlier, Camel, wrote a album inspired by this book in the 70s. A great album as well as a great book. It's quite a short story but there's alot in this story. It goes very deep.

I was commissioned to write this concertpiece by a orchestra here in Holland and in March it will be performed. I'll certainly make sure of it it'll be recorded!

Next to this project I'm going to do a few more shortfilms soon. I've also got a few new instruments these last few months. Next to the Ibanez guitars I got and the old 50s electric guitar I also have 4 horns now, a Tibetan Rag Dun, a Tibetan Dragonhorn, a English Huntinghorn from the 19th century and a Midwinterhorn. Next to those horns I also inherited a soprano sax from another late familymember. This soprano sax was made in 1914 which makes it pretty antique but nevertheless it sounds great and I'm starting to get the hang of it playwise.

Well, this must also be a pretty big story but I hope it'll be informative!

Siddhartha Barnhoorn
    sid barnhoorn

Re: OT: How did you fall in love with music, and what's your musical journey so far?

I'll try and keep this short. My parents always had classical music playing in the house from day one. Supposedly I sang things like Tchaikovski's Capprichio Itallien at the top of my lungs being pushed around in the shopping cart at the mall when I was little. I've always had a tape recoreder in my head that can play back music and I can listen to it whenever I want. My older sister listened to The Beatles and that got me into pop music. When I was nine I started taking piano lessons. I think that same year (would have been '73) she brought home the album "A Passion Play" by Jethro Tull and I remember sitting at the top of the stairs and listening to the whole thing and being blown away. That got me into progressive rock; Yes, Genesis (and Camel, speaking of them- I got to meet Andy latimer at a festival a few years ago and he's a really nice guy- what a guitar player!!) and all those bands and an interest in combining classical form with rock heaviness that has lasted until today. My piano teacher was also the organist at church so by 13 I was studying classical organ and I was an official assistant organist at St. Bartholemew church in Pittsburgh PA - I got to rock on a 45 rank Mahler pipe organ every week. Around '78 I moved to Denver, went to high school, got into a band and talked my parents into getting me a beat up Hammond M3 and a Minimoog (which I still have). I decided school bands sucked and joined a real bar band and wound up dropping out of school 2 years later. (I got a college degree years later. Stay in school, kids!! ) Played bars for years, almost got a couple record deals, didn't, wound up in Chattanooga (that's a long story), started Glass Hammer and have made 10 independent albums and done quite well thanks to the internet, and now I survive between that and running a project studio doing album and corporate work. The end!!

4 stages in my musical evolution.
    1.Grew up in 60's Liverpool, so Beatles music everywhere. mmmmm I like this music stuff.
    2. Hollywood Musicals on TV, Gershwin, Cole Porter etc.
    American In Paris thrills me in a wierd place, that I didnt know existed.
    3. 14 years old. Been studying Clarinet for 2 years. A schooltrip gives me my first Live Symphony Orchestra Experience.Tchaikovsky, Waltz of the Flowers. Remember feeling the Double Basses vibrating in my Body. It was like a message from God. A quasi-Religous experience.(Though I am a godless heathen).Decide to become a musician.
    4 20 years old. Herbie Hancock's Piano solo on My Funny Valentine. (Miles Davis Quintet). I knew I had to become a Jazz Musician. My road to Damascus moment.
    No 3 was the clincher though. The Royal Liverpool Philharmonic. I can still remember the smell of the seats. I more or less haunted the Philharmonic hall for the rest of my Teens. Liverpool also had the best Music Library I have ever seen anywhere in the world. I learnt to sighthear scores by reading them on the bus home from the Lib. Over a period of years I went from disastrously bad to reasonably competent, at hearing the score in my head.
    Given the fact that my dad was a hairy-arsed Docker(Stevedore), and I came from the poorest of the poor, I am thankful that I lived at a time when Social Mobility was still riding high on the Totem Pole. And having a working class Scouse accent was even considered hip in some quarters.It is tragic to think how many talented musicians now slip through the net, because Music Education has been cut to the bone in some parts of our country.
    I am still in love with music, since that day 34 years ago.

South Ken, London

I was born in Chicago and started the piano at five. My family moved to England when I was 7 and I was duly packaged off to the Purcell school. The highlight was when I was selected to play the arranged-for-piano orchestral part of Shostakovich's Piano concerto no1 in concert with Tatiana Nikolaeva who, some may know, was the great pianist for whom Shostakovich wrote his Op87 preludes and fugues. That was the moment I really fell in love with music. Up until then it was something I enjoyed and could do but I wasn't fully immersed. But the laser intensity of it all focused me and that was that.

Since then its been conservatoires, coffee, cock-ups and cash, with the odd triumph to see me through.

Many of my musical interests came from discovering the Planet's Suite in my dad's record collection when I was about 4. I hated the music at first, but I was obsessed with anything that had reference to space and astronomy, so I stuck with it until I loved it. From there my interests developed along chains of association.

It was recorded by Herbert von Karajan with the Berlin Phil, so, by association, I thought anything recorded by them would be equally exciting. Fortunately, the first CDs I bought on this premise were the Rite of Spring and Beethoven's Symphonies, so things actually got more exciting, and I suddenly found myself very into 'classical' music at the age of 12. I just couldn't listen to enough - especially early 20th century music.

My obsession with the Planets as a piece meant that I was really excited when I discovered there were other versions of it. I found Tomita's recording, and from there listened to everything else Tomita had done, and progressed onto Jean Michael-Jarre. The fact that I had a very forward-thinking music teacher who let me play with the school's Akai and Roland synths helped this passing interest blossom into a genuine love of electronic music. I also discovered a version called 'Beyond the Planets' by Jeff Wayne, which led me onto 'War of the Worlds,' which I then listened to non-stop for about 3 years. I still go through periods of listening to that album over and over, without becoming tired of it.

My other 'epiphony' came when I watched '2001 a Space Odyssey' and heard the Kyrie from Ligeti's Requiem. I was absolutely blown away. I spent a while trying to find out what it was without much luck (this is in the old days before the internet). Then I happened to hear it on the radio when I was 16 and started out into a whole new world which continues to expand in various directions....

I owe it all to Charles Schulz and David Brinkley. Really!

When I was a kid back in the 60s, I was (and remain to this day) a huge fan of the "Peanuts" comic strip. I noticed that one character kept referring to something called "Beethoven" and I had no idea what that was, so of course I asked my parents.

Luckily, my parents, while not musical themselves, were very great lovers of classical music, so they were able to explain to me who Beethoven was, and what composers did. Then they told me that I had actually been hearing Beethoven every night, since the NBC news was using the scherzo from the Ninth Symphony as their theme music.

Well, I already loved that music, but I didn't know that someone had to write it. I guess I assumed it just happened somehow. Then when I found out that it was actually just a small part of a really, really big piece, I had to hear the whole thing. Then I had to hear it again and again.

That was the beginning.
    Dan Powers

"It's easier to be a composer than it is to compose."
    --Ray Luke (1928-2010)

The first contact i remember having with music was around 5-6 years old where i had one of those portable lcd video games, it had a guy repelling ghosts with a cross.... the music playing was Beethovens Fur Elise, made in all glory with bleeps and blops. It was MAGIC! (treebell chimes goes here), there was something about that piece and the sound together with the game that just stuck in my head forever.

I had been playing video games and beeing inspired by their fantasy and music fanatically, until the playstation and fat ~~~ lara croft came out and destroyed the game industry, leading it to become what it is today.

Growing up i was listening to electronic music like Jean Michele Jarre, Kitaro, Klaus Schulze and hundreds of other cd's from my uncles all-around collection which also had lots of art-rock, pink floyd era stuff which i still love.

At my teens i got sidetracked from music by Nirvana! That's where i started learning guitars. Soon enough i moved to heavy metal and all it's branches. Very inspiring music! There i heard guitars and blazing drums combined with classical sounds and synths.... I soon started growing my hair and spent the next couple of years proving to the old-timers of my Greek island that i'm not gay. It was fun, and it only got better when after a couple of years most teens had long hair (shorter than mine mouhahaha)

Anyway this is getting long. I learned keyboards on my own and started layering tracks on a tape machine, so many tracks until all you could hear is white noise but it sounded great! Luckily, soon enough, and i am grateful for the person who showed me it exists, i started learning Cakewalk Gold, moved to sequencing, started with soundfonts and years after moved to Kontakt and Vst's. I also had 2 piano lessons but the teacher pissed me off so i left.

Finally, i moved to Australia -where i am now- and just finished studies in Melbourne RMIT studying sound, audio, music and the rest
    Theo Krueger - Composer

Kontakt 2 Scripts

between this place and that place

for me it's one name Yoko Kanno. everything else well Yoko Kanno Ha!
    Of course I have done the Bach, the Mozart, the Debussy and all that too.
    But when there is a composer that not only can write has written in every style imaginable plus takes thatstyle as far as it can go for any ensemble, and even creates new things that haven't been done yet, I have to listen and study and pay attention.
    the studying never stops too.
    All I can Say is...HA!...HA!...HAAAAAAA!!!!!

between this place and that place

I would like to point out that Macross Plus was Yoko Kanno's first orchestration and the conducter even said she was a genius in Japan you can't just say Yoko Kanno you have to say Extordinary Composer Song Writer Yoko Kanno or the Great Yoko Kanno. though she lot's of nick names too. Also woudl go by Gabril Robin for singing. The Sound track to Ghost in the Shell second Gig and First Gig is basically way out ther I mean beyond a lot of people for music, you would have to know everything about synths and beat creating and be able to compose like Debussy not to mention authentic Japanese Traditional music, any style of jazz, and I could go on^)_* Sugoi Ne!
    All I can Say is...HA!...HA!...HAAAAAAA!!!!!

Go Back to forum