• Register
  • Help

Topic: Cello Concerto No.2, Movement 1- by Thomas Penders

Share/Bookmark

Cello Concerto No.2, Movement 1- by Thomas Penders

Thomas Penders has composed the first movement of his 2nd Cello Concerto. The first movement is done and recorded with all GPO instruments.

This is a very well-done composition with intricate orchestration and the instruments have a kind of conversation with each other.

You can hear it at:

http://www.garritan.com/mp3/tp-Cello...Movement_1.mp3

Thomas is now working on the next movements.

Input is welcome.

Enjoy!

Gary Garritan

Re: Cello Concerto No.2, Movement 1- by Thomas Penders

A fascinating, solid composition, Thomas... and it certainly shows the Garritan cello to good end!

The neo-Romantic inferences of this work beautifully; very well done... highly dramatic in places, and you seem to know just when to build, build, build -- and then pull back. Very well structured, with a compelling impetus from the opening measures to that calming but highly effective ending.

First rate!

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    -

Bravo!

I always do my best to listen to the MUSIC first before trying to assess the realism of the sound, and this is a VERY nicely crafted composition. I think it would be quite the audience-pleaser (and I bet the orchestra would enjoy it, too)

The only thing that bothered me was the solo 'cello - I think some tweaking might be in order - there were some "machine-gun" repeated notes that might be fixed if the alternating up/down bows were used in spots.

IMHO, the hardest thing about a virtual performance is getting the solo instruments to sound realistic... a mass of orchestration or sections seems to fare much better. Now, if Gary ever releases a long series of SOLO instruments in the vein of the Strad, that little detail will be fixed.

Now, enough carping... technical details aside, this is wonderful MUSIC!

Cheers,

Tom:

Remarkable composition and so well done by GPO. It was pleasure to listen to a full-blown concert piece as if it were performed in a concert hall. You have a real talent for composition as well as for playing the GPO orchestra.

Bravo!
    Jack Cannon
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Smile Re: Cello Concerto No.2, Movement 1- by Thomas Penders

Quote Originally Posted by Rhap2
    Tom:

Remarkable composition and so well done by GPO. It was pleasure to listen to a full-blown concert piece as if it were performed in a concert hall. You have a real talent for composition as well as for playing the GPO orchestra.

Bravo!
    Jack Cannon
    Thanks for all your kind words.
    I am happy to hear that people like my new composed cello concerto.
    Hopefully 2 more movements to give birth to.
    Thanks again ..
    Thomas Penders

Go Back to forum