• Register
  • Help

Topic: Panning without changing ouput volumes

Share/Bookmark

Panning without changing ouput volumes

Hi,

I'm new to recording/digital audio, and am using some Vienna Symphonic libraries (VSL) through GigaStudio and Cubase SX. A VSL tutorial on how to work with audio & VSL shows how to narrow an audio file's stereo field, so that one can then place it - via panning - on a virtual concert stage. The tutorial uses Cubase's "Surround Pan", but also shows how to use other stereo panning techniques, such as Cubase's "Stereo Combined Panner", and plug-ins like Kelly Industries' "Stereo Tools".

However, I'm finding that - no matter which stereo panner I use - panning anywhere but hard L and hard R also results in output volume changes. I've since learned a little about Pan Law settings, that are supposed to compensate for this. Even so, I've also discovered that the volume output changes are in direct relation to the amount of panning, and so fixed Pan Law settings -- like -3dB, -4.5dB, or -6dB -- only roughly compensate for the amount of volume change, and therefore cause a distortion of the original output volumes in the process. It seems that only a Pan Law that would work along a sliding scale (that would correspond to the exact amount of panning) would maintain the original volumes.

What am I missing? I know that almost everyone pans stereo audio files, and many orchestral sample users try to place their instruments within a virtual concert stage setting. Very simply, how do you pan without getting these corresponding changes in output volume?

Thanks, in advance, for any tips you'd care to share.

Happy New Year!

- Michael

Re: Panning without changing ouput volumes

Could you perhaps be panning from within the stereo field plug-in and that is what's causing it? The plug-in could be changing the phase and canceling out the sound. I think you are supposed to narrow the stereo field and then pan with the midi tracks pan controller...

Just a thought
    Theo Krueger - Composer

www.TheoKrueger.com

Kontakt 2 Scripts

Re: Panning without changing ouput volumes

Quote Originally Posted by Theodor
    Could you perhaps be panning from within the stereo field plug-in and that is what's causing it? The plug-in could be changing the phase and canceling out the sound. I think you are supposed to narrow the stereo field and then pan with the midi tracks pan controller...
    Thanks for the feedback, Theodor.
    Others have mentioned phase cancellations - and this may be the cause, but I'm not sure how one can go about it otherwise (or how to correct the phase problems).

I'm not sure what you mean by "panning from within the stereo field plug-in". I first use the plug-ins to narrow the field, and do this by bringing the L and R a certain amount toward the centre. I notice the output volume differences immediately. However, the same volume differences occur even when using the midi track's pan controller (ie, via the midi track's slot in the sequencer's mixer). Is this what you're referring to? If you can perhaps explain this a bit more (please forgive my ignorance!), perhaps I'll better understand it.
    Thanks!

- Michael

Go Back to forum