• Register
  • Help

Topic: 87 Octane Computer

Share/Bookmark

87 Octane Computer

Well, shucks, I just spent New Years Eve and New Years day, sitting around counting raindrops and floods and road closures. We have been marooned for a few days, with an short break this morning that enabled me to get to a gas station to replenish the fuel supply for our generator. No electrical power for a day and a half. It gets really dark out here in the woods.

Now that I seem to have enough gas to keep the generator functioning for another couple of days, I thought I would see how my PC runs on 87 Octane. First time I tried it on the generator. Seems okay. But I will exit really soon.

Richard

Re: 87 Octane Computer

Generators can put out square waves, with harmonics that can get into yor audio. If it puts out sine waves with a good regulator you should be fine. I tried to run my B3 on an unregulated generator once for a Big Sur party. Had to hire a teen to stand over the generator and keep the engine speed as constant as possible, even then I felt like I was onboard a rolling ship - random pitch variance by 1/2 steps.

Your sequencer clock may also not be happy...
    Dasher
    -------
    It's all about the music - really. I keep telling myself that...

Quote Originally Posted by thesoundsmith
    Generators can put out square waves, with harmonics that can get into yor audio. If it puts out sine waves with a good regulator you should be fine. I tried to run my B3 on an unregulated generator once for a Big Sur party. Had to hire a teen to stand over the generator and keep the engine speed as constant as possible, even then I felt like I was onboard a rolling ship - random pitch variance by 1/2 steps.

HAHAHAHAHA!!!
    That sounds like fun on the Hammond!! What happened? Was it the current slowing down and speeding up the tone wheel or something?

Quote Originally Posted by thesoundsmith

I am not using the sound system at all. Just a quick on line visit, check flood level and slide conditions. I have no control on the geneator. It is locked at (theoretically) constant speed. It is only a few years old, not much used till now. Only 3KW, but it is doing an acceptable job, and sure starts easy!.

Richard

For the life of me, I can't find a manufacturer or model number on the one I have (think the label blew off when we got hit by lightning a while back); but some of the better backup power supplies have both voltage leveling and wave shaping (as well as sophisticated clamping and protection)... might not be a bad idea to look into that.

Took a direct hit a year ago, here; the power goes on and off apparently at whim; and my generator [came off a submarine] is probably older and crankier than either of us: so far, so lucky.

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    -

Quote Originally Posted by etLux
    For the life of me, I can't find a manufacturer or model number on the one I have (think the label blew off when we got hit by lightning a while back); but some of the better backup power supplies have both voltage leveling and wave shaping (as well as sophisticated clamping and protection)... might not be a bad idea to look into that.

Took a direct hit a year ago, here; the power goes on and off apparently at whim; and my generator [came off a submarine] is probably older and crankier than either of us: so far, so lucky.

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    -
    Well, my generator did not come off a submarine, but I remember a communications station where we had a generator driven by a submarine engine.

Sounds like your power system is as flakey as here. We have more power failures here than I have seen anywhere in the world, and that covers some territiory and some interesting conditions.

Richard

I think our best one was a few years back, when we had an ice storm that deposited, literally, 2+ inches of solid ice on everything. We were down close to a week.

It was fascinating. The power system up here was in complete wreckage, utterly beyond repair.

The power company dug up some half-tracks somewhere -- nothing else would go up the mountain. They had two guys on the side of a couple of them with enormous chain saws, chopping the poles off ten feet off the ground and letting the whole shebang fall.

Right behind them was a pole-hole digger and a crew dropping new poles; and behind them huge reel truck flatbeds dragged by more half-tracks and a wiring crew of a dozen workers hanging copper... and behind them, cable and phone riggers.

Amazingly, when they finally got at it, they rebuilt something like five miles of line in just a few days.

David
    -

Go Back to forum