• Register
  • Help

Topic: what's a normal working latency?

Share/Bookmark

what's a normal working latency?

i'm running on a dell dimension 4700 windows xp, 2 gb ram and 2.8 ghz processor with ht tech., and the best buffer setting for me is where the latency is 17 ms on the input and 28 on the output (running on cubase sl 3.1 and an edirol ua-25 soundcard)-- anything less, and in ivory, for example, the bosendorfer 88 key 10 level withy release samples will ot load, also trouble with polyphony in bosendorfer from pmi--is this a normal latency for my computer ( i have performed many tweaks, etc.) and should i be setting the delay constraint compensation button for playback? also, what latencies are u guys out there running on, and what are some ways to improve latency?

Re: what's a normal working latency?

Quote Originally Posted by sammy24
    i'm running on a dell dimension 4700 windows xp, 2 gb ram and 2.8 ghz processor with ht tech., and the best buffer setting for me is where the latency is 17 ms on the input and 28 on the output (running on cubase sl 3.1 and an edirol ua-25 soundcard)-- anything less, and in ivory, for example, the bosendorfer 88 key 10 level withy release samples will ot load, also trouble with polyphony in bosendorfer from pmi--is this a normal latency for my computer ( i have performed many tweaks, etc.) and should i be setting the delay constraint compensation button for playback? also, what latencies are u guys out there running on, and what are some ways to improve latency?
    I get consistent and stable 1.5ms up until the very end of a large orchestra project using all softsynths.
    Near the end I sometimes need to bump it up to 2.9 or 4.4.

Sonar on XP Pro SP1
    A64 4000+ Sledgehammer ( L2=1mb ) on an MSI Neo2Platinum
    3GB of ram.
    Echo Gina 24
    ATI 9600

Steve

17ms is not "normal"...

If you use ASIO drivers, remember that you have to optimise your system for background services (desktop properties>perf>advanced)

Latest pentium motherboard architecture is not the best for low latency, but you should be able to reach 5ms or so.

Latency below 5ms aren't perceptible for live midi performance (IMO)

I get around 5 ms usually.
    Audio Latency can be a barometer of how well your system is able to transfer large amounts of data fast. It's an intricate combination of hardware, software and settings.
    It might be your soundcard drivers as well. Cheap made drivers is a nightmare on latency - and on stability as well for that matter. I updated my drivers and was fortunate to gain about 3 ms from it. Try to find other guys on forums that uses your kind of card and driver version. If they got about the same as you, then that's probably what can be expected. If not, then the problem is local.
    Kid: When I become an adult I wanna be a musician.
    Parent: Son, you cannot become both.

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

The first thing that pops out to me is that Edirol UA-25. I am not familiar with it. Does anyone here know if it has decent drivers?

As has already been said, your basic specifications sound workable. The fact that you're having latency stability issues like this indicates something that is functioning at a low level of efficiency. The audio card seems the first potential culprit, since Edirol is definitely not a mainstream choice for a workstation-quality audio interface. It may be fine, but that's the red flag I see in this.

Edirol's drivers are generally very solid, and usually quite a bit better than those of comparable interfaces (M-Audio, etc). Edirol is Roland, the hardware and software are high quality...just not their promotion of said hardware and software. By all rights, Edirol should be a mainstream choice.

At any rate, he should be getting down around 5 ms latency with that rig.

You didn't mention your drives. Are the samples on the OS drive?

Ernie

hi, thanks guys for your replies-- i am running all my samples from same drive as OS, i know that's not the best-- now, 17 ms isn't really the lowest i can go, it's just i had had some problems sometimes with lower latencies , especially when i only had one gig ram and was running projects-- so i tried running ivory on 7.5 input latency and 5.2 output (which is the one people refer to btw?) and was pretty successful-- with like 30-40 voices i could basically run it smoothly on 10 levels with release samples--- it's much more fun to play now!-- but when i load up a project it can't handle everything at once-- like i'm running BFD, Jamstix, Hardcore Bass, Realguitar, and JABB steinway jazz piano at once with some voxengo effects (one fx channel of pristine space light, and a bunch of instances of glisseq and crunchessor)--i know that might be a lot, but it's annoying to freeze every other second and i'd like to let's say work on the rhythm section first as a whole, then freeze 'em all and work on some other stuff-- so basically, is that normal, how many programs and effects can u guys run at once without freezing, and also how much of a performance boost would i be likely to get from an external hard drive, and what's the optimum setup as far as that is concerned?

hi, thanks guys for your replies-- i am running all my samples from same drive as OS, i know that's not the best-- now, 17 ms isn't really the lowest i can go, it's just i had had some problems sometimes with lower latencies , especially when i only had one gig ram and was running projects-- so i tried running ivory on 7.5 input latency and 5.2 output (which is the one people refer to btw?) and was pretty successful-- with like 30-40 voices i could basically run it smoothly on 10 levels with release samples--- it's much more fun to play now!-- but when i load up a project it can't handle everything at once-- like i'm running BFD, Jamstix, Hardcore Bass, Realguitar, and JABB steinway jazz piano at once with some voxengo effects (one fx channel of pristine space light, and a bunch of instances of glisseq and crunchessor)--i know that might be a lot, but it's annoying to freeze every other second and i'd like to let's say work on the rhythm section first as a whole, then freeze 'em all and work on some other stuff-- so basically, is that normal, how many programs and effects can u guys run at once without freezing, and also how much of a performance boost would i be likely to get from an external hard drive, and what's the optimum setup as far as that is concerned?
    I can run 5 instances of QL Gold, ( the 5th one is usually 4 instruments )
    and 1 instance of stormdrum at a latency of 1.5ms.
    What will happen is that when the song gets thick in it's arangement I'll need to move the latency up a click or 2.
    I never have to freeze unless I'd want to add more instances of gold or an other plugin.

Steve

Go Back to forum