• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: G5 Quad - have one?

Share/Bookmark

G5 Quad - have one?

Hi - anyone here have a G5 Quad or two and use them for music production? How good are they? If you use Cubase and VST's - how much ram can you use?

Tell tell

Re: G5 Quad - have one?

I dont have a Quad but the amount of ram that can be adressed by a single application is determined by the operating system.The current version of OSX allows up to almost 4 GB for any app.

best
    Hans

Thanks Hans. Any clue to when MacOS will allow larger sums of ram to be used? any word on that?

Quote Originally Posted by Marcussen
    Thanks Hans. Any clue to when MacOS will allow larger sums of ram to be used? any word on that?
    It's not so much Mac OS Christian. It's probably more to do with Logic and this is where the confusion lies. I will get a Quad sooner rather than later probably and use the Mac 2.0 as a node I expect.
    No word on when Logic will be able see any more than 3.5 gigs approx at the moment. That will depend on forthcoming Logic updates with EXS24 embedded of course.

Currently, I have 30 instances of EXS24 in front of me on the 2.0 - all VSL instruments in this case. 14 of them are perf legato instances, the rest are dims and crescs etc. The cpu indicator is hardly making a blip. I need maybe two more instances.
    If I was thinking about getting a Quad, I wouldn't bother with Cubase, but rather look to the next Logic update and see what happens then. If you're happy with Cubase, then I would stick to the PC's.

Paul,
    don't you think the nodes have limited value though? You can't run EXS or any third pary apps on a node. What does that leave you exactly? Space Designer if you use that (I don't), or Logic synths and plugs. Not much help for orchestral oriented things.

Quote Originally Posted by rob morsberger
    Paul,
    don't you think the nodes have limited value though? You can't run EXS or any third party apps on a node. What does that leave you exactly? Space Designer if you use that (I don't), or Logic synths and plugs. Not much help for orchestral oriented things.
    Probably limited value at the moment Rob. I do use Space Designer occasionally myself - but mostly Altiverb. I was just thinking aloud to myself - would I bother to sell the 2.0? - probably no; therefore use it as a node I guess. But things may change over time with Mac and Logic.
    For orchestrally oriented work, it's still the ram issue at the moment.

you may be better served by using your second mac as a vi farm.

Hi Paul - is cubase known to be notoriously bad for Mac? Whats the ram limit for cubase on Mac?

Quote Originally Posted by Marcussen
    Hi Paul - is cubase known to be notoriously bad for Mac? Whats the ram limit for cubase on Mac?
    I can't talk about Kewwww - base on this forum - not without starting WWIII. I don't know what the limit is for Cubase on a Mac.

The info that the addressable memoryspace for a single application in an OSX Mac is determined by the operating system and is a little less than 4 GB comes from Markus Fritze who works for Apple as a softwaredeveloper for Logic Pro and i would assume that he knows what he is talking about.
    Should be no different for Cubase, Final Cut etc.......

Hans

Go Back to forum