• Register
  • Help

Topic: "Mutt And Jeff"

Share/Bookmark

Talking "Mutt And Jeff"

This is my "Mutt And Jeff", a composition for the unusual combination of flute and tuba only. Both instruments are GPO.

The title refers to two old cartoon characters, one of whom was small and skinny and the other was large and fat.

LGA

http://www.alexandermusic.com/resources/MuttAndJeff.mp3
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Re: "Mutt And Jeff"

"Mutt And Jeff"
    Another tune that makes me smile at the end, and not because it's over because Larry, that was just a fun piece in it's simplistic parts.

Hmm,.... who knew, flute and tuba, they compliment each other very nicely!
    Keep up the fun work Larry.

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by DPDAN
    "Mutt And Jeff"
    Another tune that makes me smile at the end, and not because it's over because Larry, that was just a fun piece in it's simplistic parts.

Hmm,.... who knew, flute and tuba, they compliment each other very nicely!
    Keep up the fun work Larry.

Dan
    My appreciation to you for responding, Mr. Dan.

LGA
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Ya got me, Larry -- I'm a sucker for the tuba, you know, and flute and tuba pieces are especially enticing.

Nice job on this -- it's a bit tougher than most might imagine to get a piece to hold together so well and effectively when you're writing for the underworld and the high heavens at the same time... lol.

Bet the tuba player had his eyeballs out on stalks by the end of this one!

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    -

Dave,

I said to myself today, "Self, you should write a flute and tuba piece." So I did it. It was one of the most difficult things I have ever done. The two instruments are so disparate that it is almost impossible to blend their sounds.

Much obliged to you for aurally perusing it and scribbling a note to me apprising me of that fact.

LGA
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Most enjoyable! This was a lot of fun! I think that the blend was fine. Yes, I think that some of the tuba line will be a little harrowing, but I knew a euphonium player that could kick the trumpet players heinies with his dexterity, so he would certainly get a kick out of your piece!

~Paula
    Cheers!
    Paula

Remember to Play www.thepunkduck.com

Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll
    Most enjoyable! This was a lot of fun! I think that the blend was fine. Yes, I think that some of the tuba line will be a little harrowing, but I knew a euphonium player that could kick the trumpet players heinies with his dexterity, so he would certainly get a kick out of your piece!

~Paula
    Thank you Miss Paula. I have a virtuoso tuba-player friend who can perform anything that is put before him.

I'm glad that you like this little thing.

LGA
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Fun piece, and I like the doubling!

I guess great minds think alike -- when I was in high school my jazz band played a piece called Mutt 'n' Jeff. It was a funk piece for big band with a featured for Piccolo and Bassoon duet, mostly playing in unison (well, with a few octaves between them)! I don't remember who the composer was.

I guess the high/low doubling lends itself naturally to the subject matter.

Nice job,
    chris

Chris,

I thank you for taking the time to listen and comment.

Larry A.
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Go Back to forum