• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: dpDan's observations of reading music 101

Share/Bookmark

dpDan's observations of reading music 101

One thing I do know for sure about scores, there is nothing that means the same thing twice.... well this is a blah blah blah, unless it has a blah blah in front of it, but only when the time signature is 3/4. When the violins go into divisi, the cellos and french horns play unison, but only if the director is on a smoke break,... now, when the flutes play, they get to play notes that don't fit onto the music, so sometimes they are forced to play the string bass notes fourteen octaves above the basses, but only if the violas have a separate C cleff. Depending on what the writer/deranger was smoking, would depend on whether the violas get a C cleff or an F cleff, if he is on serious drugs, the violas may be out to lunch. The percussioninsist's have a mini auction backstage to bid on playing the timpani since that is the only percussionist'ssss that gets respect. The violinists will always sniff before an emotional phrase and suck up so much air that the winds behind them can't play. Trombone players will be wearing earplugs since the trumpets were designed to point into the heads of the bones, causing the bone players to play seriously out of tune because their ears are plugged. Their excuse for poor intonation, is that they don't have valves because someone a few hundred years ago said they should slide from note to note, and it really isn't important to actually hit the note dead on. This is critical while blowing from note to note, but only if the trumpets are playing, if the trumpets are not playing, and the tromboneists'sss never hit the notes in tune, then they can blame it on the fact that their earplugs fell out and their ears were ringing.
    I decided to have seriously long runon sentances in this to make it easy to read for real musicianssissts'

Oh man where's my batoon?

Dan

Dan

Re: dpDan's observations of reading music 101

Dunno, but I think you're abusing the right to have a signature.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Burrell
    Dunno, but I think you're abusing the right to have a signature.
    he he , i know i know too short

C'mon Dan, if it is was easy, everyone would be doing it.
    regards

HAHAHAHA!!!

-Chris

Talking Re: dpDan's observations of reading music 101

Are you coming back from a recording session with a cheap underpayed orchestra?...;-))

Conservatorio orchestra stages were more or less the same: I'm still wondering what kind of magic made us play well during concertos...

good one Fabio
    I was responding to an email where Rhap 2 was giving me some information about scores, I was trying to be funny in my response to him and thought it was good enough to post here.

I'm OK,

Dan

dpDan, you just described my school orchestra *runs*
    Ke Yang (OMG I'm using mah name)
    Insert Useless Advertisement Here

My Work List With GPO

Note: You might have noticed there's nothing there, yet. Massive editing going on.

Quote Originally Posted by Tovan
    dpDan, you just described my school orchestra *runs*
    ha ha ha
    really no offense to any players that are guilty of the things that I happen to notice/mention
    Dan

Really, now, Dan... reading score isn't all that difficult.

Given the proper amount of the right kind of opium, it's quite easy... lol.

Seriously, looked at from the perspective of anything resembling common sense, though -- the incredible hodge-podge of musical tradition that has resulted in what we see as "scores" is enough to turn your head inside out.

As something of a mitigatory step, I've long been a proponent of doing score entirely at concert pitch -- at least a small start toward better comprehensibility, in that you don't have to do a half dozen transpositions in your head while reading.

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    -

Go Back to forum