• Register
  • Help
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Topic: Gary & Tom--Sample This!! LIVE TUBA MUSIC!!

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1

    Gary & Tom--Sample This!! LIVE TUBA MUSIC!!

    By Melinda Bargreen
    Seattle Times music critic

    Everybody knows the tuba — the big, loud brass instrument at the back of the orchestra or the band, issuing the occasional oom-pah and playing long tones underneath all the other brass.
    But the tuba really is the best-kept secret in the orchestra. It isn't just a brass boomer or a background instrument: Its voice is beautiful and mellow, capable of lyrical melody over an astonishingly wide range. Few composers, however, have given the tuba the chance to shine. There are a handful of concertos, with Ralph Vaughan Williams' the best known.
    Now there is a new one. Seattle Symphony audiences will hear the world premiere of Samuel Jones' Tuba Concerto on Thursday (7:30 p.m. at Benaroya Hall, repeating Saturday at 8). The soloist, Christopher Olka, is the Symphony's own tubist, and Gerard Schwarz will conduct. (Music lovers will find an additional inducement in Tchaikovsky's beloved "Pathétique" Symphony, also on the program.)

    You WILL attend, Garritan and Hopkins, and any other Seattlistas or my minions will (censored in the name of good taste)...

    Jim
    Jim Williams
    Professor of Capitalism
    N9EJR
    Indianapolis Brass Choir
    All Your Bass Sus&Short Are Belong to Us.

  2. #2

    Re: Gary & Tom--Sample This!! LIVE TUBA MUSIC!!

    Jimbob, Gary is in Vegas for the CES show so he won't be able to oom the pah
    Dan

  3. #3

    Re: Gary & Tom--Sample This!! LIVE TUBA MUSIC!!

    Quote Originally Posted by DPDAN
    Jimbob, Gary is in Vegas for the CES show so he won't be able to oom the pah
    Dan
    His loss...let's see...he can see hundreds of leggy dancers, go to the casinos, make some business connections, enjoy fine dining, etc. OR he could stay home and hear a tuba concerto. What would YOU choose?????

    PS--Evan is now about 6'5" and his favorite Christmas present was his WOOT t-shirt!!

    Jim
    Jim Williams
    Professor of Capitalism
    N9EJR
    Indianapolis Brass Choir
    All Your Bass Sus&Short Are Belong to Us.

  4. #4

    Re: Gary & Tom--Sample This!! LIVE TUBA MUSIC!!

    November Niner Echo Juliet Romeo, must be a fellow pilot and an aircraft owner?

    Tuba or not tuba? That is the question.
    Friends, romans and country men, lend me a buck and a half.........oops sorry.

    That sounds like an interesting evening. The tuba is a wonder full instrument.
    Please let us know how it goes. Maybe you will see Gary and Tom there trying to avoid getting whacked by your constituents.



    To be a nut, is to be devine.
    88fingers
    (The Nut )

    www.waveav8.com

  5. #5

    Re: Gary & Tom--Sample This!! LIVE TUBA MUSIC!!

    Quote Originally Posted by 88fingers
    November Niner Echo Juliet Romeo, must be a fellow pilot and an aircraft owner?

    Tuba or not tuba? That is the question.
    Friends, romans and country men, lend me a buck and a half.........oops sorry.

    That sounds like an interesting evening. The tuba is a wonder full instrument.
    Please let us know how it goes. Maybe you will see Gary and Tom there trying to avoid getting whacked by your constituents.

    To be a nut, is to be devine.
    88--N9EJR is my amateur radio callsign...I wish I could fly planes

    One of my official jobs here is to enlighten composers about the wonderful sound of the EUPHONIUM and the tuba and badger them until they write something for the euphonium, the KING OF INSTRUMENTS!!

    Jim
    Jim Williams
    Professor of Capitalism
    N9EJR
    Indianapolis Brass Choir
    All Your Bass Sus&Short Are Belong to Us.

  6. #6

    Re: Gary & Tom--Sample This!! LIVE TUBA MUSIC!!

    Quote Originally Posted by snorlax
    One of my official jobs here is to enlighten composers about the wonderful sound of the EUPHONIUM and the tuba and badger them until they write something for the euphonium, the KING OF INSTRUMENTS!!

    Jim
    Yes, the euphonium is a wonderful instrument with a beautiful sound...but...I don't have one to work with!

    Gary GPOA hint hint!!!!!


    -Chris

  7. #7

    Re: Gary & Tom--Sample This!! LIVE TUBA MUSIC!!

    AH yes a HAM. I thought it was the tail number of your airplane as all aircraft registered in the US start with N. I was studying for my FCC novice license to use 10 meter for hang gliding, or was it 2 meter? Long time ago I don't remember. Anyway, I gave up on it when I quit hang gliding due to physical problems. Now I just fly power. No need for a radio operators license in airplanes any more. They did away with it.

    I shall have to write a Tuba piece....... hmmm where should I start.

    Did you listen to Larry Alexanders tuba and flute piece "Mutt and Jeff?
    It was a good listen.
    88fingers
    (The Nut )

    www.waveav8.com

  8. #8

    Re: Gary & Tom--Sample This!! LIVE TUBA MUSIC!!

    Don't forget Herbie Flowers' composition called Tuba Smarties

    http://plum.cream.org/sky/sky2.htm

  9. #9

    Re: Gary & Tom--Sample This!! LIVE TUBA MUSIC!!

    Quote Originally Posted by snorlax
    PS--Evan is now about 6'5" and his favorite Christmas present was his WOOT t-shirt!!

    Jim
    WOOT t-shirt? Is that Elmer Fudd playing the tonic (perhaps on a tuba?)
    Dasher
    -------
    It's all about the music - really. I keep telling myself that...

Go Back to forum

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •