• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: Joaz another Live/Samples hybrid.

Jabb/GPO Joaz Live/Samples hybrid.

Here is another tune from my upcoming Album. Co-Written with my wife Azhaar.This one is a bit more her baby than mine, but I helped out where I could.
    This one is a slow cool Bossa Nova, in the newer Brasillian/International style pioneered by artists like Bebel Gilberto.Which is to say it has electronica/ambient elements.But lovers of the older Astrid Gilberto/Stan Getz style, should find something recognisable.
    Drums JABB brush kit.
    Bass Jabb
    Piano TSO by Worra.
    Strings GPO including a little solo Guarneri,Gagliano,and the new Strad.
    Pads,Electronica Kontakt2.
    Voice,Guitar,Tenor Sax. Live.
    This is the first mix, so I am open to any ideas to improve the mix.The guitar seems the hardest to get right.Have I overcooked the Low Mid Warmth???
    I think I have been a little guilty of overhyping my live wind players in the past, so I won't say much about my Tenor Guy, except, I think he is OK.

Dreams of Air mp3

regards Joe

Re: Joaz another Live/Samples hybrid.

I don't think it comes any better than this, Joaz!

Damn, this is like silk underwear for the brain, man... it just wraps itself around you and caresses your mind.

I know you Jazz coots don't use this term much; but it definitely fits the bill:

This is just plain excellent; and if it's only the first mix, I sure as hell can't wait to hear the finished cut.

Wine Country, Colorado

Superb work, Joaz. Very enjoyable and convincing mix. While I am not the least bit qualified to comment on Bossa I can say that I found the voice, sax and percussion dead on perfect. I think the piano and strings might come a little more to the front in places. This from a dyed in the wool Wagner nut.
    Quote Originally Posted by etLux
    this is like silk underwear for the brain, man... it just wraps itself around you and caresses your mind.
    As for silk underwear for the brain...in the cold nether regions of Colorado, I prefer a six week old hair cut and a wool cap, lol.

Last edited by valhalx; 01-06-2006 at 12:08 AM. Reason: typo
    Never look at the trombones. It only encourages them. Richard Strauss

My Website
    Beethoven's Eroica
    Antonio Salieri
    The History of Studebaker

Very nice, Joe! I love bossa!

Your tenor man honks nicely. Is the chick singer your rib?

More, more!

Larry G. Alexander

I am so glad you liked it. "Silk underwear for the brain".
    Hey maybe you should be Sirius B's PR guy.

Thanks for the kind words. This is a type of piano playing I call "Splash" Piano.Very much in the Tom Jobim mold. Tom Jobim was a virtuoso of the rest bar. So this Piano comes in and out quite a lot.
    The String section was an afterthought, funnily enough. Originally it was all pads going Oooooooooooh or Ahhhhhhhh smoothly in the background, which is typical of this style. But that just sounded too flat,. So I added a few spots of swelling strings to lift out of the background now and then.
    I will have a look at the Levels of those 2 elements.

Thanks man, yep Tenor dude is quite a Honker.
    And your right, that is the old Ball and Chain,Azhaar on Vocals. She did most of the writing,some of the programming, and half of the producing as well.
    Modern Women. Huh? They will be giving them the vote next.

Thumbs up Re: Jabb/GPO Joaz Live/Samples hybrid.

This is excellent. I can learn a lot from this music.

Among others, I love the very understated piano. Beautiful and very charming.

Thanks for sharing the music with us.

Jun Yamamoto
    Tokyo, Japan

This is certainly five-star musical dining. Is there a release date set for the album? I want a copy yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by joaz
    I am so glad you liked it. "Silk underwear for the brain".
    Hey maybe you should be Sirius B's PR guy.
    I'm open to offers... lol.

Listened to this again in daylight -- discovered the effect is the same even when you're naked. (Don't ask.)

Seriously, brilliantly solid arranging on this. Like Bill said, maybe some very minor level fiddling; but I'd caution against over-tinkering something that's already so damn good.

This was wonderful!

Wow, you and your wife are a talented power duo!
    Hmmm...I wonder if you patiently wait outside until she's threw using the home recording studio… or do you each have your own?

There's little I can contribute in terms of improvement

Sounds perfect to me!

...reminds me a little of Diana Krall.

~ jeff

An excellent all round artistic production.

I am afraid I can't offer any useful criticism or hints - I don't think it needs any tweaking!
    Richard N.

Finale 2003 to 2007 ~ Garritan GPO, JABB & Strad ~ Sonar 6PE ~ Kontakt 2 ~ WinXP Home SP2

Athlon XP 2200 ~ 1.5 Gb RAM ~ M-Audio Sound Card ~ M-Audio 88ES MIDI keyboard ~ Evolution MK-461C

Bach Strad LT16MG, LT36G, 42B + B&H Sovereign Studio Tenor Trombones ~ Holton 181 Bass Trombone ~ Getzen Bass Trumpet ~ Yamaha TR4335G Trumpet ~ B&H Euphonium

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast