• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: *WARNING* IBM Deskstar hard drives

Share/Bookmark

*WARNING* IBM Deskstar hard drives

I had a hard drive failure on my GigaStudio machine today. The drive was an IBM Deskstar 75GXP. I didn\'t think much of it until I started looking around the web and realized that the number of these drives that are failing is *ASTOUNDING*. There are pages and pages of bulletin boards filled up with people talking about their deskstar drive failures. Most people had trouble with the 75GXP, but I\'m not convinced the 60GXP or the 120GXP are any safer. I just talked to my dad, and he has had not one, but TWO 120GXP\'s fail on him this year.

There is currently a class action law suit against IBM because of all these failures. IBM has actually abandoned the hard drive business, selling it all to Hitachi.

I am in the process of removing all my Deskstars (I had 3!) and replacing them with other brands. I recommend you do the same, or at least make sure you back up constantly. My drive died on me with no warning.

I know that drives sometimes just fail, but the number of Deskstar failures is unreal. Take precautions so that you don\'t lose valuable music (like I did).

Re: *WARNING* IBM Deskstar hard drives

Thanks for the warning! Any recommendations on an affordable, silent 120GB drive?

Seagates seem to be the quietest.

I\'d been using WD drives, but may jump over to the seagates on the new machiens, seeing as they aren\'t much more expensive, and the difference is WAY better than HD enclosures (that wont work on all newer drives)

I have been using mostly IBM deskstars for years now and in my experience...I simply disagree that they are ALL bad drives. The 75GXPs were made at a new factory at the time and the IBM deskstars are no longer made there (as a result of the poor standards coming out of that assembly line). Those were really the drives to avoid.

Since that time though, the IBM drives really are good and they tend to out perform the competiton on most tasks. The new Deskstar 180GXP drives are out now and they are also out performing the Western Digital 8MB cache drives. I have the IBM 180GXP (180GB drive with 8MB Cache) and it is screaming fast. No problems so far and I run them 24/7.

In my past......it has been the Western Digital drives that have failed on me...three times actually.....never again will I use their drives.

Anyway....just to add another perspective. Don\'t let the bad IBM press from drives TWO models ago deter you from checking out their new line (which is not even made in the same country any more as the old ones).

It is true that most of the failures that were reported on the IBM Deskstars were from the Hungary Factory. The new Deskstars are made in Thailand and *MAY* be more reliable. Or they may just be new enough that they haven\'t started failing a lot yet. The fact that my dad already blew one out and is experiencing trouble with another isn\'t encouraging.

As for people not using the 75GXPs, there were a TON of OEM shipments with these drives, so a lot of people are probably using them without even realizing it. I setup my Gigastudio machine 2 years ago and it came with the Deskstar drive. I had no idea they were failure prone until I started looking around the web for ways to get my data back (which BTW costs anywhere from $1000-3000!!).

I guess if you have a different Deskstar than the 75GXP you might be OK--but if you have a 75 you should absolutely consider replacing it sooner rather than later.

Hi Guys,

Remarkable coincidence. I just fired up my internet computer to check up on hard drive issues ... having just left my GigaStudio PC, which was this morning diagnosed by the IBM Drive Fitness Test as having a failed 75GXP drive (the system/app\'s drive). Uggghhhh ... I built the machine about a year and half ago, using IBM 75GXP\'s exclusively - at the time, they were thought to be the best drive for the money.

(Good news, the IBM drive testing utility provides a report that even includes a special code needed in order to return the drive for replacement.)

My second drive is fine, so far - it contains all my Gig files - together with about a gazillion updates and tweaks... whew.

Question. At the time I built the machine, the popular opinion was to put the system and app\'s on a drive separate from the sample data. The logic being that it would avoid interfering with the streaming of sample data off the hard drive, and let GigaStudio perform at its best. I fail to see the logic in this today, since I think the system operates out of RAM, once you\'re booted and running. Am I wrong?

Anybody know?

Trond

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Originally posted by dnortana:
    Question. At the time I built the machine, the popular opinion was to put the system and app\'s on a drive separate from the sample data. The logic being that it would avoid interfering with the streaming of sample data off the hard drive, and let GigaStudio perform at its best. I fail to see the logic in this today, since I think the system operates out of RAM, once you\'re booted and running. Am I wrong?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I have always considered the streaming aspects of a dual drive system to be secondary. The primary consideration is getting back to a working condition after a bad incident with a drive, virus, OS failure, etc.

If you have user data on the boot drive, you have to deal with that. If you have nothing but OS and applications, you can resore a \"Ghost\" or similar backup and be back to work in less than an hour.

To me, this is the primary consideration.

Bruce,

Excellent point. I had not considered that aspect of the dual system, though at this point with my IBM boot drive failed/failing, I\'m a happy guy that the only thing on it is the OS and the GigaStudio application program. Proves precisely your point, in spades.

At this point, it would seem to me that I should replace the boot drive. Since I\'ve got less than 2 GB on it, just a little drive of 20 GB or so should be fine. I see no reason to put a bigger one there.
    Trond

Hi
    I guess thats why Nemesys/Tascam has a offical line of not suggesting specific brands of computer components ,because off the record I been told by several diffent Nemesys reps over the years that the IBM Deskstar hard drives were the drive of choice and used by them in there test machines and I suspect in there big monster zillion dollar turn key rack unit.[although Im sure you can custom order them with any hard drive config].

I have to agree with Lee, I think the best performance/Dollar value out there right now is the Westen Digital limited edition with the 8 meg buffer,check them out at Spicewatch.com.[had to change the name so my post is not deleted for indorsing a profet organization , just change a couple letters and youve got it]

Another thing worth mentioning, a couple new letters back from Tascam ,they mentioned with Gigastudio not to use drives larger than 60 to 80 gigs because the platters are so thin on the larger than 80 gig hard drives that it create excess heat.
    They mentioned better to go with 2 60 gigs that one large 120 gig.
    Ken

Hi
    I guess thats why Nemesys/Tascam has a offical line of not suggesting specific brands of computer components ,because off the record I been told by several diffent Nemesys reps over the years that the IBM Deskstar hard drives were the drive of choice and used by them in there test machines and I suspect in there big monster zillion dollar turn key rack unit.[although Im sure you can custom order them with any hard drive config].

I have to agree with Lee, I think the best performance/Dollar value out there right now is the Westen Digital limited edition with the 8 meg buffer,check them out at Spicewatch.com.[had to change the name so my post is not deleted for indorsing a profet organization , just change a couple letters and youve got it]

Another thing worth mentioning, a couple new letters back from Tascam ,they mentioned with Gigastudio not to use drives larger than 60 to 80 gigs because the platters are so thin on the larger than 80 gig hard drives that it create excess heat.
    They mentioned better to go with 2 60 gigs that one large 120 gig.
    Ken

Go Back to forum