Gigastudio 4?

are there any news about Gigastudio 4?
    Anton Bruckner

Re: Gigastudio 4?

Come and ask again in 2009.

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar
    Dallas, Texas

NAMM is right around the corner. That would seem an obvious time for announcements.

Personally, I think that there's a good chance Tascam will let the product fizzle out. The VI's have taken over as the preferred format, now that even VSL is jumping ship it's probably a good sign of what's coming. I think Kontakt 2 really got a good momentum going right now, but most people (even the pro's) are simply happy with the Kompakt styled players.

Gigastudio will still be around for another year or two, but I seriously doubt that Tascam is putting any real money behind it at this point.
    Music Composition for Feature Films, Television and Interactive Entertainment

I hope : more .gig for the same RAM size and VI support ... it could be nice

I hope you're wrong, Kays.. man. I know Giga has had its share of bugs (2.5 was horrible), and 3.x is a lot better.. the RAM issues are still annoying. But I really do love Giga, and for some reason I can't explain, working with VIs just bugs me. Every time I learn there's a new library and it's VI only, deep down I hear myself going "aw damn it." Maybe it's just out of habit, that 98% of my work is done in Giga. But when I load up a VI like Stormdrum, as cool as the samples are, it just feels "cheap." Like a toy. What's wrong with me? Maybe I need someone to slap some sense into me. Or maybe it's the numerous crashes I've had while working with Stormdrum that have turned me off. (what's with the crashing?)

Sam Hulick

I'm with you all the way Sam. Can't stand those intakt/kompakt thingies.

the players are kinda cheesy feeling IMO

but being able to open them in Kontakt and still use it like a conventional sample lib (to an extent...locked samples and all), is a friggin joy.

I never use the actual "players" and use anything that will load into Kontakt INTO KONTAKT

Giga 3 looks pretty cool tho, maybe I'll get it at some point, the new filter stuff looks purty awesome...

whatever giga 4 has lined up, I'm sure it'll be some neat stuff.....

but if they cant get massive developer appeal... it better convert kontakt libraries
    Operation Mindcrime 2, in stores now.
    or go here...
    The Digital Bitphonic Orchestra
    -Ashif "Ash" Hakik

I agree Sam. I hate having to open two dozen instances of the player to get all of the sounds I want. I want to have all of my taiko loops available to me in one instance of the player.

I hope to see some interesting developments with V4. It would be sad if Tascam stopped Giga. Even though I don't use it, I appreciate the progress they make for the whole industry. It would be a loss at the top of the heap.

New York City

Yeah, I love Giga. I still am running 2.5 on a 1.0 Ghz PIII with 2 gigs of ram, and it loads tons of stuff and is has never crashed on me since I got it (had Sweetwater install it on my PC). That baby is as reliable as a hardware synth.

I agree it does feel like a professional piece of software that is efficient and well designed -- easy access all my non-NI libraries. For the NI stuff, I have Kompakt, Kontakt 2 and many NI-based players, but although powerful, at least in the case of Kontakt, I just can't seem to love them.

Go Back to forum