• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: So what should GigaStudio develop next?

Share/Bookmark

So what should GigaStudio develop next?

Since NI have introduced scripting to K2 (which is proving to be immensly powerful) ... and now that VSL have introduced their own playback engine....

what should Tascam do with GigaStudio to

a)remain in the game,
    b)pull ahead again ?
    c) persuade you to keep using it, and paying for upgrades

- From my point of view, K2 doesn't have stability, has higher processor & memory needs than GS3, doesn't have the sheer channel capacity or a reverb as good as Gigapulse ... so I still like GS3, though there don't appear to be many libraries appearing for it.

- I'd rather GS3 improved its articulation management, than invest in VSL VI.

- I have a lot of very, very good GS3 libraries that I don't want to replace (or side-grade to Kontakt) just to get improved articulations.

Re: So what should GigaStudio develop next?

Drew,

Instead of replacing or sidegrading, why don't you just keep Gigastudio running so that you can run all your GS libraries but consider getting Kontakt as well?

Frank

I'd like to see Tascam develop a working version of Gigastudio. I'd like it to be slightly more stable than a weeble and not take issue with every other driver known to man.

I'd also like them to acknowledge that, since I've paid for the last two versions, bugfixes do not constitute doing me a favour, but are rather a way of providing what they charged me up-front for.

But I don't think this is likely...

First and formost, more important than any other sort of feature, bells and whistles, etc. - break down the 64bit ram barrier.
    With a giga capable of running 8-16 gigs of ram on a single system with GS's known ram efficiency, there simply wouldn't be any competition.

Secondly, implementation of a feature set that allows for programming credible legatos (and other such things) into existing libraries. Any long time samplists will have no end of older giga libraries that could be resurrected with such features.

I don't honestly believe that the sampler itself is actually the place for 'articulation management' features - these make more sense in whatever sequencer or notation program you are using to actually compose. Giga's role in this would be to allow for as many conceivable programming options and commands to be sent from that source - and it already allows for this via patch changes, patch stacking, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by jc5
    a feature set that allows for programming credible legatos (and other such things) into existing libraries. .....

Giga's role in this would be to allow for as many conceivable programming options and commands to be sent from that source - and it already allows for this via patch changes, patch stacking, etc.
    Yes, I agree with both these points.

- In terms of legato programming (for conventional samples), I think K2 has set the benchmark (with Alex and TJ's help). Could this be done in GS3? Would it be impossible for them to implement a version of Theo's TKT repetition script ?

- I think VSL's new VI's have set a new benchmark for EASE and FLEXIBILITY for combining different control mechanisms and different patch's together. But GS3 isn't too far off ... With VSL's VI's there are three main dimensions of programming ....
    - programming within a single patch, such as velocity / keyswitching /
    - horizontal across a matrix of cells
    - vertically up and down the matrix cells

well GS3 can currently do 2 dimensions (without going into giga editor)
    - within a patch/instrument (velocity / keyswitching)
    - and vertically in a stacked instrument
    - IF they could make a stacked instrument a 2 dimensional matrix ... that would make it almost as a good as a VSL VI
    - They could also do with a mechanism to detect speed of play to switch between patches.

Reliability.

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Guys, you can already program legato in GigaStudio. You can do it the way VSL does it, or you can do it the way Sonic Implants does it. Both feature sets are included and fully workable.

Did anyone read the interview with Jim and Joe in VI? They described exactly how the legato functionality works. If you've been reading the "readme" files that come with updates, you'd also see that new programming features have been pouring into the application with every update.

Drew, you can subdivide 256 dimension levels pretty much any way you want to. Yes you'd need to open the editor...but I don't know how you'd expect to program instruments otherwise. The QuickEdit function is just for single-use edits, not for core level instrument design.

Has everyone gotten so completely transfixed by "libraries," that they've forgotten that it's a VERY GOOD THING that the GigaStudio engineers have concentrated their efforts on sampling features?? Features, by the way, that are routinely emulated across the board after GigaStudio premieres them?

Re: GigaStudio 4.0

I think you can take it for granted that these are not stupid people, and that they've had a good plan for their next version designed for quite some time. I think that (as usual) people's expectations will be met, and surpassed in ways that are unexpected.

So, this thread is actually rather moot. GigaStudio 4's design is a done deal, and has been for quite some time. I'd suggest letting NAMM arrive and see what comes out of that.

Giga studio is great, i just hope they implement something like the script, then it's done for me, i will use it for ever.

think you can take it for granted that these are not stupid people, and that they've had a good plan for their next version designed for quite some time. I think that (as usual) people's expectations will be met, and surpassed in ways that are unexpected.

GS is an admirable tool, but I really believe we're approaching a crossroads where Tascam will either make or break it. Far too many important content developers have left the building. It will be interesting to see what happens. Unfortunately, there are a lot of cases of really promising technology that took a wrong turn and ended up on the side of the road (Emu, FairLight, Synclavier, Akai, etc., etc.).
    Both of you make sence, . I hope your right Bruce.

I really think a great thing Gigastudio could develop would be a Gigastudio virtual isntrument where you can load giga instruments and use them in your sequencers. Rewire is nice, but limiting, and not all sequencers have that capability. A Gigastudio VSTi would be great. Editing could be done in full Gigastudio and the Giga VSTi could just be a player.
    THAT would be nice.

-Chris

I'd like to see Tascam develop a working version of Gigastudio. I'd like it to be slightly more stable than a weeble and not take issue with every other driver known to man.
    What?

(extra characters so this sucker posts)

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast