• Register
  • Help

Topic: OT: about piano height

Share/Bookmark

OT: about piano height

Hi all,

I would like to know if there is a 'standard' height for pianos, I mean, from floor to keys.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers!

Re: OT: about piano height

Actually, I think there's two. One with the damn wheels and one without.

(Complaint annunciated because of the number of piano's I've played with wheels but with benches that are normal height and therefore make my arms "ride low".)

Ernie

Thanks Ernie, but you know these standard heights in terms of inches or centimeters.

Thanks!

My 121cm upright piano keyboard is at 73cm from the floor (yes, it has wheels)
    Coincidence, my Roland stage piano keys are also at 73cm from the floor when it is put on a regular RTX stand at the lowest setting.

However, I'm not sure this is standard !
    I remember I had some problems with some stage pianos having lower keyboards (pb with my legs, not with my harms, assuming the bench is adjustable )

I Googled piano along with "keybed height", "keyboard height" and "keytop height". Didn't get a lot of good results. One piano manufacturer is proud of their "higher than standard" 65 cm.

This site: http://www.the-office.com/office/musiclab.htm, if you trust it, states 24-27 inches. No word on whether that includes wheels.

A quick look indicates that most of the key height discussions cited are actually discussions of bench height.

I would suggest you Google the keywords yourself.

Ernie

Fwiw, I measured the 3 pianos I have in my house. Top of a white key to the floor. Here's what I got:

console: 27 in

concert grand: 28.75 in

electric grand: 28.5 in

All are sitting on wall to wall carpet and the grand has its own Persian area rug in addition. The feet on the Yamaha electric have some adjustment to them but they're at minimum height. The concert grand has the brass factory installed wheels sitting on the stock 5.5 in diameter black coasters it came with. The Steinway console just sits on its rear rectangular wooden body which has small rollers hidden underneath.

In some less-classy concert, stage, and hotel settings, the piano might be left mounted on a triangular steel piano dolly with oversized heavy duty wheels. Very common in hotels. Where I've seen pianists ditch non-adjustable benchs in favor of a couple of stack chairs.

Howard

Thumbs up Re: OT: about piano height

Ok. Thank you so much for your help. I really appreciate all this info.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by ohernie
    Actually, I think there's two. One with the damn wheels and one without.

(Complaint annunciated because of the number of piano's I've played with wheels but with benches that are normal height and therefore make my arms "ride low".)

Ernie
    Shouldn't be the distance from the keys to the pedals(!) be more interesting?

Anyone remember Glenn Gould ?

Quote Originally Posted by howardv

console: 27 in

concert grand: 28.75 in

electric grand: 28.5 in

So how much is this in cm ?

All the best
    Bo

Quote Originally Posted by Bo Clausen
    So how much is this in cm ?