• Register
  • Help

Topic: Strad in Ensemble?

Share/Bookmark

Question Strad in Ensemble?

Can anyone post about using the strad in ensemble? Is it possibble to create banks of strads? What is the CPU Ram usage - is it heavy? Any other issues? What does it sound like?

Thanks

Zero
    Core i7 920, Win 7 RC 64, Cubase 5 64, Omnisphere, Trilogy, RMX, EWQLSO Plat EW Choirs, GPO, Stradivari, Gofrilla, Absynth 4, Halion 3, Kontakt3, BFD2, VSL Strings, JBridge running all 32 bit apps well.

Re: Strad in Ensemble?

Oops............I should add that I would run this on a Athlon 3500 with 2 gigs of RAM
    Core i7 920, Win 7 RC 64, Cubase 5 64, Omnisphere, Trilogy, RMX, EWQLSO Plat EW Choirs, GPO, Stradivari, Gofrilla, Absynth 4, Halion 3, Kontakt3, BFD2, VSL Strings, JBridge running all 32 bit apps well.

Yes, it's possible. So far, I've been able to simultaneously play three Stradivari, each on a different Cubase track, with individual control of all midi parameters and different IRs.

P4 2.6 GHz, 1 MB RAM, Win Xp. CPU load about 75%.

Thus, a string quartet of expressive instruments based on this technology should be playable on a more powerful single machine.

Giorgio

OK so three is about max, this is worth having, but my dreams of a Garritan Orchestra with all stringed instruments using this technology have taken a back seat again. Still sometimes in recording studios a bank of midi instruments is fronted by the real thing, maybe one could do this, and of course one can always freeze tracks.
    It still seems a wonderful instrument I can wait to get my paws on it..........

Windows 64 should arrive in 2006 or 7 and that can support masses of RAM

Lightbulb Re: Strad in Ensemble?

I used Stradi in conjunction with the other 3 solo violins of GPO, to create a chamber (baroque) string orchestra section, and the result is very good: the stradi add the articulation variability needed, supported for the "section" sound by the other violins.

I will post some sample soon. The main problem I'm facing is the similitude of sound, that keep very similar the section of Violins I and Violins II, and the unison obviously to avoid.

For sound differentiation I'm using Eq, panning and slight detuning, (and variation auto controllers of GPO player of course!) with good results. Using GPO violin solo players (e.g. Gagliano 1,2,3 and Guarnieri 1,2,3) instead of the main solo, it's less expressive, but still believable, and more effective the differentiation between V I and V II.

All those operations are really expensive in RAM and CPU power, then I do it step by step, mixing the bounced audio track (or frozen tracks for advanced sequencers) instead of the whole MIDI arrangements, but it's not so bad if you know how your music must sound. If you are creating or searching for inspiration, use a light setup first, and refine the sound later.

Some other ideas you might want to do to make different instances sound different:

Compression/saturation on some tracks
    Hand edited strad convolution file ie, dupe the file, and make some *subtle* audio modifications to it, such as changing the level, eq, slight time-stretch, etc.
    Transpose up a half step, and pitch bend down a half step.

Not that I have time for all this. Just speaking theoretically.
    - Jamie Kowalski

All Hands Music - Kowalski on the web
    The Ear Is Always Correct - Writings on composition

Go Back to forum