• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Dance Piece #1

Share/Bookmark

Dance Piece #1

I haven't taken the time to write and score a piece in the last month with the holidays and all. Here is an assignment that I enhanced. The original assignment was to make a 2:1 counterpuntal piece for two instruments and write it in the style of an 18th Century Dance piece.

The piece than inspired me to add an accompanying orchestral part and the result can be heard here:

Dance Piece
    January 2006

Dance Piece Remake
    February 2009

I know some of you prefer the mp3 downloads which on this site means giving out some of your info , but you can at least listen to it in HiFi or LoFi .

The mix is rough as I have only just recorded it from Finale 2002 to wave via Garritan Personal Studio Recorder (version 2) using some Ambience.

RichR
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Re: Dance Piece #1

A charming and restful piece, Richard. You've gotten fairly good overall balance in the mix, and a goodly degree of fullness to the sound, nicely lush strings.

Ambience can be a bit tricky, and I've yet to hear any hard and fast rules for it... it depends, really, on what overall sound you're trying to achieve. Perhaps the worst pitfall with Ambience (or any other sound treatment) is the temptation to overdo -- which I don't think you've done here.

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    -

David,

Thanks so much for your remarks. I'm in a bit of a learning process here. GPO has so much to offer that it takes me time to get things to sound the way I would like them.

I am also developing my compositional skills. I have been involved with music and music education since the 1960's but never got my compositional skills working until I retired from teaching and can devote the much needed time to studying form and technigue. My brother, who has a masters degree in composition has been a great help in designing exercises to force me to think in and outside the box. The piece you heard was an attempt at counterpoint in a 2:1 ratio for 2 voices. I just expanded it a little to add harmonic structure by using strings as an accompaniment to the two woodwind study. The piece is suppose to represent a short dance form ala 18th century dance suites.

I appreciate your comments especially since the compositions I have heard of yours always impress me. I have been to your website and I am amazed at the amount of quality music you have done. I look forward to hearing more of your work.

Thanks,
    RichR

Rich

Rich,
    Very enjoyable and well written work. The section at 0:47, which I assume is the original assignment, was quite charming.

Bill
    Never look at the trombones. It only encourages them. Richard Strauss

My Website
    Beethoven's Eroica
    Antonio Salieri
    The History of Studebaker

Valhalx, You are correct. The duet by oboe and clarinet were the assignment. Thanks for your comments. They are appreciated.

Rich

Thumbs up Re: Dance Piece #1

Nice Dance, Rich!

I like the cozy Prussian clarinet, the atmosphere it creates!

Fred

You do go into the archives Fred.

I always like how this piece turned out. It is one of my favorites. Thanks for listening and commenting.

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by RichR View Post
    The mix is rough as I have only just recorded it from Finale 2002 to wave via Garritan Personal Studio Recorder (version 2) using some Ambience.
    RichR
    OK, I am a dunce. What is the Garritan Personal Studio Recorder?

Now on to the music: Nice quiet piece that rolls over the palette nicely. I find it a bit repetitious, but satisfying. The use of the woodwinds is magnificent. Nice work on that. The strings sound a bit 'muddy' to me, but then I play brass and am desensitized to anything soft.

The Bach door is definitely not Baroque any Rocco remark is heard well. It certainly Lully's you to sleep.

Thanks for sharing. (Hmm, why wasn't this imported into Finale '09?).

Bill
    We dream to write and we write to dream.

Challenge #10 Winner

Thanks Bill for the comment. All of this was done 3 years ago in Kontakt Player 1. I haven't, but should update this piece.

Rich

--!---It's interesting, we seem to be having more very old posts boosted again - That's kind of fun.

But---I couldn't find this particular piece on your SoundClick page - where is it, Rich?

Randy B.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast