• Register
  • Help

Topic: CES Report – Day 2

Share/Bookmark

CES Report – Day 2

Today was a busy day at CES.
    The morning was mostly business. We met with more press people today including people from Popular Mechanics, a gaming magazine, an audio mag, an Asian music magazine and others. Also met with some retailers and distributors.

Later I ventured over to the Yamaha booth and saw the red Elton John Piano. Not sure why it was red - it sounded purple to me. At the Freescale booth someone was demonstrating a Vari-Ax Guitar Modeler by Line6.

Hollywood composer Shawn Clement stopped by and we spend some time talking about the various projects he's working on. Shawn got the full-blown Stradivari demonstration. Shawn was here doing a demo for Intel and Cakewalk. (his demo used GPO).

I spent some time at the Microsoft booth and spoke with some people there. Saw the latest with Vista, Explorer and Microsoft Music.

Windows seemed to be everywhere. Huge crowds in the Microsoft both in Central Hall. The ubiquitousness of Windows was coupled with the conspicuous low showing of Apple at the show. Microsoft says Windows Vista will ship this year.

The look and feel of Vista is nicer than earlier versions of Windows. There are a few interesting features. The transparent window edges are sharp looking. Widgets, single-purpose and single-window little programs (like the Dashboard in Mac OS X) is sleek. The 3D application switcher can show a stacked deck of every window that's open with one keystroke. There’s also a very fast search feature.

Lots of mobile devices everywhere at CES. Mp3 players, handheld video, PDAs, portable GPS units, USB Flash drives, small cameras, handheld translators, cellphones - many wi-fi and Bluetooth enabled. So many handheld devices-enough to keep the many arms of Vishnu busy and happy .

Speaking of mobile devices, there were people scooting around on Segways. There were the agile Wowwee robots (also caled Robosapiens). There was also a small nifty electric car called the Xebra that would make an excellent island car.

After the show Jeff and I went over to the Star Trek Experience at the Hilton. We had some Romulan Ale and Risa libations at Quarks Place. Then enjoyed the Borg Encounter and a Klingon Attack. CES and Star Trek - doesn't get much geekier than that .

I tried to get an internet connection to log on to chat. No luck. You would think with wireless being a theme of the show there would be no problem getting a connection. No such luck. Missed the chat and I’ll try to be there on Sunday..

Gary Garritan

Re: CES Report – Day 2

Sounds fun Gary!

with your best Indian accent, tell Jeff I said "NO CREAM!"

Dan

Thumbs up Re: CES Report – Day 2

You call that a report? Where's the pics, mang? No group shots of you and da boiyz standin' near somepin cool? Whaddaya mean? This is a C - at best! Redo and hand in before tomorrow or ya gonna hafta stay afta school annadda day!
    Styxx

Gary,

If you go by the Intel booth and see Jeff Torello tell him I said, "MOO!".

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by DPDAN
    Sounds fun Gary!

with your best Indian accent, tell Jeff I said "NO CREAM!"

Dan
    Will do. We ate at an Indian restaurant and Jeff avoided the cream.

Go Back to forum