• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Does Linux have a viable future for us?

Share/Bookmark

Does Linux have a viable future for us?

I'm interested to know your views about Linux as an alternative to Windows and Mac, specifically in our field of music production.

Are there credible programs already written for this format, (if so, which ones?), and is there hardware and software support from soundcard/usb/controller manufacturers etc.? What are the programming challenges for sample libraries in Linux based programs?

What's your view and/or experience?

Regards,

Alex.

Re: Does Linux have a viable future for us?

i would hope so . i am using xandros its great

Hello from former native Moscovite

I'd say, it's coming, slowly, but steadily.

Muse Receptor is a viable option right now. U2 used it on their last tour. It runs on LINUX.

LinuxSampler project looks quite promising.

A few years more - and highly restrictive DRM/TCPA "features" on a Windows side could push many end users to LINUX... if the last one is ready.

The questions remain:

- Which LINUX. There are tons of them at the moment. It would be tough for both the HW and SW vendors to support multiple Operating Systems, based on different versions of the kernel.

- Which GUI? Gnome? KDE? WindowMaker? AfterStep?

Once these questions are answered, expect some ports of well-established applications to be come available for Penguin lovers.

Cheers,

ck

Hello ck.
    Do you miss the place? It's wonderful at the moment, snow everywhere, fireworks most nights, russian xmas day, and of course the 'snow princesses'.

I'm interested in the potential of Linux, and i don't know that much about it, hence the question. I've been told it's a lot simpler, easier, and more stable than either mac or Windows. Is this true? What's the advantages or disadvantages of Linux versus the other two?

And if a thinking developer were to come up with a Linux 'audio' operating system version that provided at least some sort of standard, I wonder if the HW and SW developers would take notice.

Mike, what's Xandros? Is there a website you could point me to?

Any info about Linux audio would be appreciated.

Regards,

Alex.

I'm thinking about geting one for my internet(web PC), i hear it's safer against pirates,... after being hijacked by a well know samples compagny, i'm not gonna name this compagny but let's just say, they tend to have tuning problemes , any body use this?

I thought the Mac was already running under Linux as of OS X. What I don't get is why you don't see Mac applications being ported en mass to other Linux implementations. Perhaps because Apple adds proprietary api's? Or maybe because the authors prefer not to?

Howard

So does anyone use a Linux DAW?
    Is there one?

Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by howardv
    I thought the Mac was already running under Linux as of OS X. What I don't get is why you don't see Mac applications being ported en mass to other Linux implementations. Perhaps because Apple adds proprietary api's? Or maybe because the authors prefer not to?

Howard
    I think that you'll see Mac applications ported to Windows long before Linux; an example would be Altiverb 5. The other thing to remember is that some Mac apps (Logic) are actually owned by Apple, so there is no chance that they will ever be ported to a system where Apple doesn't have a monopoly on the hardware.

D

Quote Originally Posted by Hermitage59
    I'm interested to know your views about Linux as an alternative to Windows and Mac, specifically in our field of music production.
    [...]
    I'm a long time linux user and I'm very happy with it because it's very stable
    and uses the hardware resources much more economical then Windows
    (I can't speak for Mac here, sorry).

My advice is:

- if you're a professional musician/producer, I'd wait until the big players
    offer their software for Linux (and they WILL someday because Linux
    cannot be ignored anymore)

- if music is your hobby, I'd install a Linux distribution additionally on
    your system (yes, that's possible without problem) to see if you like
    it and if the software available does the job for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Blaske
    I thought Windows Vista was going to be released at the end of 2006. Regardless, from what I've seen, I think a lot of Windows users are going to be shocked beyond belief at no longer being able to do a lot of things they now completely take for granted. That will either give a boost to Linux, or people will hunker down and sit tight with their Windows XP machines.

Lee Blaske
    I now run exclusively Windows machines, and have no intention of "testing" Vista in the short term. When my machines can't do what I ask of them (or VSL comes out with yet another technological marvel that just HAS to run on Vista) I'll think about upgrading, but hopefully by then many of the winkles will have been ironed out.
    Who knows, I may even get an IntelMac, if they manage to match the speed and price of PCs, although I'm not holding my breath.

D

Go Back to forum