• Register
  • Help

Topic: Keyboard recommendation

Share/Bookmark

Keyboard recommendation

Hello,
    I\'m new to all of this giga stuff... been using sf2s for a while, and now I\'m ready to move up to giga. I currently have a VERY basic little keyboard that I use to enter notes (and nothing else - that\'s all it can do). When I use giga I will need other types of controls... can anyone recommend a fairly inexpensive keyboard that does the basic things that I will need as a giga user?
    I don\'t need fancy sounds or a totally realistic feel. Just the necessities. 61 keys seems like a good size.
    I got a catalog recently that offered the FATAR CMK149 for $109. Anyone familiar w/ it? Does it do what I need?

Please forgive my ignorance... (we all have to start somewhere [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] )
    I understand keyswitching, and then there are crossfades that are controlled w/ a modwheel. Are there other controls that I will need?

Thank you!! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Re: Keyboard recommendation

A lot of people seem to use everything from breath controllers to ribbon controllers, wheels, pedals, etc. I guess it comes down to what you feel comfortable using and what you can afford. I believe there are some libraries in which a breath controller is actually specifically supported.

I got my \'controller\' (heavy weighted 88-key digital piano) long before I started using Giga - it doesn\'t have anything on it; I draw in the MIDI data in Logic with a mouse, as crazy as that may sound.

Having 88 keys is handy, as some sample libraries span a big chunk of the keyboard; I\'ve read that you end up having to do some workarounds on smaller keyboards to accomodate that.

I have wondered about using a Korg Kaoss pad as a do it all MIDI controller though. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Hiya Steve...

I see you are drawing MIDI data into Logic... I use HyperDraw to create pitch bends/mods etc, do you know anyway I can do that using the Automation???

meeehoon

Hi meeehoon,

I don\'t understand what that means - I thought the HyperDraw feature was the automation?

Hiya Steve...

I thought automation is when you can drag a fader, pan pot etc to create the pitch bends instead of hyperdraw where you draw the values in? Also with hyperdraw, the midi messages are embedded in the midi sequence, whereas with automation its on a separate track where you can delete or do anything with it.

[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

meeehoon

Go Back to forum