• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Garritan Stradivari = Agog, Aghast, Agape, Awe-struck!

Share/Bookmark

Thumbs up Garritan Stradivari = Agog, Aghast, Agape, Awe-struck!

Hey folks - this is something I've just *got* to share. This weekend was supposed to be about completing a few odds and ends in the studio - mainly tooling up for the next project. But then I got a bit side-tracked by the delivery in Saturday's mail - Garritan's Stradivari Solo Violin.

I have to admit, I actually went the manual cover-to-cover before I started to play the instrument. Yes - I'm one of *those* geeks that actually digs into the documentation before taking a crack at something new. Boring, but true. So, that was Saturday afternoon. I didn't catch everything on first read, but I figured that I'd "get it" after I had a chance to play around with it for a bit.

So today, after a bit of lunch and some time wasted watching football, I got back to the studio and sat down with the Stradivari. I had already set up a few buttons and sliders on my MIDIBoard to drive expression and other continuous and switched controls. First I wanted to experiment with the dynamics and vibrato control through some longer sustains. Garritan has set up vibrato where intensity is controlled by the mod wheel (as you'd expect) *and* speed/rate is controlled with aftertouch. Couple those two controls with a bit of swell through expression and the effect is pretty stunning. By "stunning" I mean stand-up-and-go-outside-to-the-front-porch-for-a-minute-and-collect-yourself type of "stunning". Legato and portamento switch for you automatically with Kontakt 2's scripting engine (along with a host of other functions depending upon your actions and/or the keyswitch selected) and the entire phrase comes across as dynamic, immediate, musically meaningful - and dare I say - real. It was truly amazing to hear some of the things I could pull off almost immediately. I'm not going to be putting Itzhak Perlman out of business or anything, but this is absolutely a "showcase" voice.

I've got a lot more practicing to do - but the cool thing is that it's for honing *my* technical ability and creative options - *not* to circumvent any limitation of this virtual instrument. The Garritan Stradivari can take anything I can throw at it and them some. This is a miracle of technology in the service of art - and Giorgio, Stefano and Gary should be "right proud" of themselves.
    Houston Haynes - Titan Line Music

Re: Garritan Stradivari = Agog, Aghast, Agape, Awe-struck!

Houston,

I've been tempted by the demos of the strad. Could you tell me how much reverb is built into the samples? (One or two of the demos sounded a bit too wet for my taste.)
    Glad you're enjoying it, anyway.

Cheers, Tim

As far as I can tell, the samples are completely dry.
    Dan Powers
    www.danielpowers.info

"It's easier to be a composer than it is to compose."
    --Ray Luke (1928-2010)

Quote Originally Posted by danpowers
    As far as I can tell, the samples are completely dry.
    I think a better word is "present" but not wet. You can hear the tiniest bit of "air" around the release triggers, but just enough to keep it real. I've tried some of the "hall" convolution presets in Kontakt2 and they're all too wet for my taste - then again - they're probably set up to reside on a send for folks to put the right amount of "wet" on each instrument.
    Houston Haynes - Titan Line Music

Thanks for that information.
    Just listened to the video demo again and I think I'll have to get the battered wallet out again.
    Nice to get something that doesn't need a new HD to store it on!

Talking Re: Garritan Stradivari = Agog, Aghast, Agape, Awe-struck!

Reading this thread made me want to get it!

Hey Houston,

Thanks for the report. Can you tell us the CPU load (and what your specs are)? I'd love to NOT dedicate a whole machine to it!

Rob
    Rob Elliott Music
    www.robelliottmusic.com

I saw a post on the Garritan forum by one of the developers who said that the phase aligned samples are pre-rendered, rather than real-time. I don't know how heavy the processing/memory load is, but I don't think it's out of line.

(I don't own it yet. I got an actual violin recently, and am learning to play the real thing.)

-JF

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Elliott
    Hey Houston,

Thanks for the report. Can you tell us the CPU load (and what your specs are)? I'd love to NOT dedicate a whole machine to it!

Rob
    Hi Rob
    I am running a 3.2 P4 (Hthreading off) 1 gig ram. it uses about 20% cpu,occasional peaks above this.It is somewhat a thirsty app, but considering the quality, I dont really mind. The lib size is 550 mb or thereabouts.
    I own a few Libraries, and have played a whole bunch more, but ,subjectively, this one feels different. This one smells like the Future.
    I would like to give you a more objective breakdown of it, but at this point...I am hopelessly in love.I guess that makes me a Sradivarius Fanboy.
    regards

Thumbs up Re: Garritan Stradivari = Agog, Aghast, Agape, Awe-struck!

More is here:

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...ad.php?t=41385

With the little demo I did, I dropped one more instance of convolution on top of the one that it comes with (one of the halls that comes with K2). That's why my thing is a bit wet. (maybe I should have said somfin')

3.2 ghz P-IV EE - rarely hit 20% CPU spike even with the added conv.
    This sucker is a must have man.

"So what if some parts of life are a crap shoot? Get out there and shoot the crap." -- Neil Peart
    Hint:1.6180339887498948482 Φ

Go Back to forum