• Register
  • Help

Topic: Does anone have no sustain pedal?

Share/Bookmark

Does anone have no sustain pedal?

Let's say a library has an essential function, controlled by CC64 (Footcontrol)
    Who would say, I can't use it?

An what's about expression (CC11) ?

Chris Hein
    Chris Hein - Horns / Chris Hein - Guitars / Chris Hein - Bass
    http://www.chrishein.net

Re: Does anone have no sustain pedal?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Hein

Let's say a library has an essential function, controlled by CC64 (Footcontrol)
    Who would say, I can't use it?

An what's about expression (CC11) ?

Chris Hein
    Chris, re: the lack of sustain pedal for me it would depend on the sampled instruments. For brass and woodwinds it would not be a problem, for strings it would be.
    Composer, Logic Certified Trainer, Level 2,
    author of "Going Pro with Logic Pro 9."

www.jayasher.com

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Back in the day, if someone showed up on a gig with a sustain pedal on his Rhodes, we were worried...

I don't think I'd worry about including sustain pedals as a controller option for a library, if that's where your question ultimately leads. Sustain pedals are standard issue, and cheap as they can be. Expression pedals are only a little more expensive, although some cheaper controllers certainly don't have inputs for them. If I am correct, I think my SL-880 only routes expression input to Volume (but I have other controllers that effectively map expression).

Sustain pedal..who needs it?! I do use it once in a while. I use it for horns (pedal up, mod wheel down.. hit 4-note chord.. slowly move mod wheel up to increase dynamics, pedal down, switch to 4 other notes, pedal up, move mod wheel down). Sometimes I use it for harp, celeste..that's about it. And the obvious: piano.

As for CC11.. never used it. Which sample libs use it?
    Sam Hulick
    Composer
    http://www.samhulick.com/

I don't have one but then again, i don't even have a firewall on my pc???
    As you can see, i'm not a reference, but i will get one, mine got lost some during transport??? As for expression pedal, i don't think i have room for that on my keybord but, as long as i can do it manualy in my sequencer it's fine.

Hey! chris, i was very impress by the demos, it reminded me of the saterday night live band or something, i did not think it could be done, and it's cheap too. Very, very...good.

Back in the day, if someone showed up on a gig with a sustain pedal on his Rhodes, we were worried...
    That made me laugh. I have a few Jazz piano students, and I am always telling them to get their foot off the damn Pedal.
    Garritan Strad needs an expression pedal. I dont have a pedal, but I do have an M-Audio oxygen8, it is fairly simple to map a knob to cc11.
    I guess if we want to play expressive instruments, this will involve a plethora of controllers.
    So, real time performance = 1st pass.
    real time controllers = 2nd pass.
    Some midi tweaking to clean up.
    This is still a whole lot quicker, than 10,000 articulations, days spent writing in CC data with pencil.
    It probably better suits those with some keyboard chops though.
    regards

I'd be interested to know what the next generation controllers will have, including not just a sustain pedal, but other 'alternate limb' controllers.

We've had many discussions here about how to use samples, techniques etc. And those debates has been based on the current controller formats.
    Given the increased complexity of sample libaries, and the increased range of musical options open to us, i'm thinking it's time we focused on the controllers, and their adavantages/disadvantages.
    It's also occured to me before now that just maybe MIDI has had its day, and it's time for a new data transfer mechanism that reflects the advances made in libaries and computer technology.

And for what its worth, i rarely used a sus pedal on a rhodes (mk11), but i did use them on a wurly and Yam Elct Grand. Does this mean i should be worried?

Regards,

Alex.

Thanks for your replies,

I don't mean sustain but using the sustain pedal for other techniques.

I mean thigs like up- and downstrokes on a guitar for example.
    Programming the downstroke on the pedal Instead of using another keyswitch.

Chris Hein
    Chris Hein - Horns / Chris Hein - Guitars / Chris Hein - Bass
    http://www.chrishein.net

Go Back to forum