• Register
  • Help

Topic: One cure for the "Joystick" Woes as a mod controller.

Share/Bookmark

One cure for the "Joystick" Woes as a mod controller.

I was prompted to place this here for anyone who is interested in trying this cure for the proverbial "Joystick" controller woes! It may not be for everyone but it sure worked for me and many a friend.

Here is another alternative anyone can give a shot that a local tech showed me. On my Edirol PCR-50 I have taken the "spring" out that causes the joystick to return abruptly to zero out. If you are not mechanically confident I would suggest asking a tech to do it for you. The end result is the same as a wheel. You must manually zero it out and you get very near the same control if not the same as a wheel.
    If you feel you can do the work, here is a little guide and some things to remember when doing surgery on your controller.
    1. Disconnect from your interface. Turn off power, unplug and disconnect all cords from the unit. Turn the unit over with the bottom side facing up. Take a good look at the screws on the bottom and determine which set holds the casing and which holds the circuit board and keys. On the Edirol it is the outside set of screws furthest to the edge of the casing that is to be unfastened. The inside screws hold the circuit board and should not be touched.
    2. Unscrew the outside screws until they are totally free yet leave them in place if you can. After all the screws are loosen, carefully lift the bottom off the top of the unit until the you can see the joystick. The joystick is upside down and you should see a small spring. If there are more than one spring, motion the joystick as you would for modulation until you see the one that governs the modulation sequence.
    3. After determining the right spring, use a small "needle nose" pliers and carefully lift the spring from its position taking care you do not force it off the plastic pins that hold it in place. The spring should be on with slight tension and not screwed in place. If screwed on, be careful not to lose any screws into the unit.
    4. When spring removal is complete carefully return the bottom and top of the keyboard to it's seating position and secure. Make sure no wires or anything is protruding from the sides before you tighten the screws. Do not force the screws too tight or you run the risk of cracking the housing especially if it is plastic.
    5. Reconnect the controller as before and test the joystick. You should find it works just like any modulation wheel. Although I must concur that a wheel gives you a wider throw. The joystick is a bit tighter.

This takes a bit of time and patients and for pete sake if you feel any doubt upon executing this procedure ... call a technician!
    Styxx

Re: One cure for the "Joystick" Woes as a mod controller.

Bump!
    I received several email on this.
    Styxx

Re: One cure for the "Joystick" Woes as a mod controller.

Bimp! I've done several for people and mines been working great since!
    Styxx

Go Back to forum