• Register
  • Help

Topic: GPO for Sibelius

Share/Bookmark

GPO for Sibelius

I've now got the GPO for Sib crossgrade up and running satisfactorily. The only snag is that when I load Studio beta it can't now find any of my original GPO files, only the GPO for Sib version. This does not matter very much because at the moment I'm writing a piece for viola and piano. But if I ever need to use the organ samples I will want to do quite a bit of tweaking in order to produce a good result.

Has anyone any idea how I get Studio to recognise "standard" GPO as well as GPO for Sib? Do I reload the samples and, if so, where? Or is it simply not possible to have both on one machine?

Frank Cranmer

Re: GPO for Sibelius

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Cranmer
    I've now got the GPO for Sib crossgrade up and running satisfactorily. The only snag is that when I load Studio beta it can't now find any of my original GPO files, only the GPO for Sib version. This does not matter very much because at the moment I'm writing a piece for viola and piano. But if I ever need to use the organ samples I will want to do quite a bit of tweaking in order to produce a good result.

Has anyone any idea how I get Studio to recognise "standard" GPO as well as GPO for Sib? Do I reload the samples and, if so, where? Or is it simply not possible to have both on one machine?

Frank Cranmer
    Frank,

My guess is that you moved the sample library, as opposed to copying it. Sibelius is looking for it in one place, and Studio is looking in another. If you copy it, then both programs are happy.
    Hope this helps.

R. Pearl

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Cranmer

Frank Cranmer
    Frank,
    I am seeking somebody who actually uses Sibelius crossgrade for GPO to tell me what exactly are the benefits of the crossgrade in comparison to Sibelius 4.1. Being more precise - the expression and technique in 4.1 must be realised through plug-ins that write MIDI messages into the partition with no undo option. Once you wrote it either you like it or you have to delete the whole bunch and re-insert the messages again. In Overture it is much smarter as any expression or technique statement has its own parameter window, where you can indicate whatever pleases you and if you find it working wrong, you just change parameters (instead of primitive re-writing). How is it done in Sibelius crossgrade?
    Thanks for evetual enlightment.
    witold

Witold,

If you use the crossgrade, you do not need to use plug-ins. (Which can be undone very easily, by the way.) If you want pizzicato, simply write pizz. Dynamics, articulations, hairpins, techniques all play back, and are simply text that you would place in the score anyway. It is much easier than running it through GPO Studio.

R. Pearl

It depends what you want to do. The crossgrade is great for standard instrumentation. At the moment I'm writing a piece for flute, clarinet, cello, piano and percussion (purely as an exercise that will never get performed: it's my last piece for the third-year composition course at the Open College of the Arts) and it's much simpler using GPO for Sibelius. It inserts the correct MIDI messages for dynamics and attack and if, for example, you insert "fluttertongue" in the flute part it presses the correct keyswitch. So it makes realistic playback much easier than in "standard" GPO.

However, the crossgrade suffers from a fair degree of inflexibility. If, as I suggested in my earlier post, you want to use the organ samples properly you need to do it in ordinary GPO, because then you can fiddle around with pitches and tweak the choruses. Dynamic changes are more difficult - but you wouldn't want them in an organ piece anyway, would you? (Unless you're writing nouveau-romantic organ music: but if you're doing that, you don't want samples from a von Beckerath - what you need is a Cavaille-Coll or a pre-war Harrison & Harrison).

Frank Cranmer

PS: The Open College of the Arts teaches fine arts and music by distance learning. It's UK-based but I don't suppose it matters very much where you live, so long as you have a decent postal service - and in any case, I communicate with my tutor entirely by e-mail and the very occasional 'phone-call. It's a very lively institution and the fees are very reasonable. For the curious, this is the URL: http://www.oca-uk.com/.

Go Back to forum