• Register
  • Help

Topic: Sx,Gigastudio and S/pdif.........

Share/Bookmark

Sx,Gigastudio and S/pdif.........

Hi,

Setup: Cubase Sx 1.05 and gigastudio 2.53. on same computer. Souncard Wamirack 24.
    I try to have Sx using the outputs 1 and 2 and gigastudio 3 and 4. The output of my Wamirack is s/pdif to the digital in of my vs880(roland). Now my question. Why can\'t i have outputs 1,2,3 and 4 of my wami to my roland vs880 via the s/pdif? It\'s or 1 and 2 or 3 and 4, but not all together? Am i missing something?Or can you always max have 2 channels through your s/pdif??? I\'d like to stay completely digital....Thanks in advance.

Re: Sx,Gigastudio and S/pdif.........

Hey TheGigaman,

I try to have Sx using the outputs 1 and 2 and gigastudio 3 and 4.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">So far so good!

Here\'s the problem: The S/PDIF Digital In & Out is only a 2 channel digital pipe. Please see your card\'s specs below that I\'ve got from the Egosys site:
    \"
    - Analog 4 In/8 Out : +4dBu/-10dBV Bal/Unbal 1/4\" TRS phone jacks
    - 4 channel MIC Preamp with Phantom Power
    - S/PDIF Digital In & Out (Coaxial & Optical) : Up to 24-bit resolution.\"

So...In order for you to use 1-2 and 3-4 together you\'ll need an ADAT port which you could lightpipe to your VS880 ins. ADAT support 8 channels at a time. SPDIF 2! The Wamirack does not have any ADAT ports.

Of course the work around is to record your giga sounds out of 3-4 into your VS880 through the spdif in and record 1-2 out of SX later on. I know it\'s a pain, but it\'ll work.

BTW, I don\'t own this board and this is just my explanation according to my understanding of the SPDIF digital I/O\'s and I\'ve worked with digital audio extensively. Please check w/ Egosys for a confirmation though...

Hope it helps, [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

JHanks

Spdif is a 2 channel signal - there is a similar-looking protocol called ADAT lightpipe which is 8 channel, but the digital out on the WamiRack is 2 channels only.

However, do you have the latest driver for the Wami Rack (I believe it\'s 3.8 now)?

This includes a utility called Direct Wire which allows you to route signals internally, so in theory you can route the GSIF outputs into Cubase\'s ASIO inputs and send the combined signal out via spdif.

You can also process the GS sounds using VST or DirectX plugins if you want.

I haven\'t tried this as I run them on seperate PCs, but there\'s more information here.

Thank you both for the quick replies!

So now i understand my s/pdif situation, there is a new question on my mind...; I have the 3.80 ego driver, but how do i use the rewire gsif-->asio when i have SX on 1 and 2? I mean i\'ve had both on 1 and 2 before and don\'t know how to see/notice the difference when thy\'re seperated over 4 channels or intern via the rewire thing..?

Hope you understand..

And a million thanks in advance again!

Go Back to forum