• Register
  • Help

Topic: Completely silent PC!

Share/Bookmark

Completely silent PC!

http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/01/..._out_the_fans/

I'd hate to have to add a stick of memeory or do other hardware upgrades though!

Rob

Re: Completely silent PC!

That's bizarre!

buzz

Heck, it should come with it's own fries!
    Styxx

Be a bummer if it sprung a leak! That would not be fun to cleanup.

Not even slightly surprising. Resistors in paint cans full of oil has been the favorite method of building high wattage "dummy loads" for RF and audio testing for years. Just a case of "everything better be working before you pour on the oil" - repairs are not going to be fun.

If they had it working under water, THEN I'd be amazed. Oil is no big deal.

Ernie

So, who in the NS community is going to try it first?

Rob

How about the extremely loud PC? Instead of oil, use gasoline. Make sure to leave a little air in the top of the case, so it can "breathe".

-JF

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ohernie
    If they had it working under water, THEN I'd be amazed. Oil is no big deal.

Ernie
    They actually did try it in distilled water first. It worked for about 5 minutes. Amazingly, nothing was permanently damaged.

- Stefan

Quote Originally Posted by sbkp
    They actually did try it in distilled water first. It worked for about 5 minutes. Amazingly, nothing was permanently damaged.

- Stefan
    I wouldn't expect a few minutes of water to do any damage. More of a case where I wouldn't expect it to work. In older electronics the impedance's tend to be lower (and digital speeds slower) so water didn't have nearly as much effect. At the extreme, it wasn't unusual to take a scrub brush to someone's amp. We'd wash it down in the sink to get rid of the dried beers and dead bugs from years of gigs before working on it. These days, I've had pieces of consumer electronics that were wiped out by minor water spills that wouldn't have been a big deal a decade ago.

The increase in system impedances has also led to a lowering of system noise immunity. Progress is a wonderful thing.

Ernie

The key point is that pure, distilled water doesn't conduct electicity. Add a few impurities and, boom, you have a great conductor. Salt is a typical impurity.

I wonder what they were thinking though. Sure it was distilled *before* they poured it in. But the circuit boards and chips would all be covered with solvent residues and other impurities. Duh!

Maybe if they coated everything in some inert goop that conducted heat well, then water would work well. But think of the hassle of changing a memory stick then!

-JF

Go Back to forum