• Register
  • Help

Topic: The Daxophone

Share/Bookmark

The Daxophone

First there was the Flexitone, now there is the Daxophone

http://www.daxo.de/

These thing sound crazier than you'd expect. Maybe there's a Daxophone library in our future.

Re: The Daxophone

I don’t get it? Have to be honest with you but I found that a little bothersome paging through all the animation. Nothing like getting to the point. I'll stick to me Flexitone, thank you.
    Never did get to see what the heck it is we're supposed to see here, there, where ever.
    Styxx

FLASh gone mad-I too never got to the end!

Agreed. Geeze, dude!! You're a good Flash programmer but some us us just want the info. That site is impossible to navigate. All he has to do is put a map on the side, or a no-Flash mirror. No soup for Daxophone Dude, one year.

Talking Re: The Daxophone

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan

These thing sound crazier than you'd expect. Maybe there's a Daxophone library in our future.
    There's more information (without all the flash animation) at http://www.windworld.com/feature_pages/daxophone.htm, including a sound clip.

I actually have a couple of daxophone CDs. He gets an amazing variety of timbre out of a few strips of wood. Basically, the instrument consists of three parts:
    • a base, which includes a pickup, and a tripod-type stand
    • a strip of wood which is clamped onto the base at one end, leaving the rest free to vibrate;
    • and the "dax", which is an oblong piece of wood, curved on two sides, one side smooth and the other side fretted.

The dax is placed on top of the wood strip, and by rocking the dax you can control how much of the wood vibrates freely, thus changing the pitch. The wood strip is bowed. The inventor has made a number of the wood strips in different shapes, and out of different woods, which impart different timbres to the final instrument.

A fascinating instrument, but I don't plan to pick one up any time soon...

Enjoy!

Grant
    ==============================
    Grant Green ||| www.contrabass.com
    Sarrusophones and other seismic devices

Sounds like a college frat party after the third keg.

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    -

Wink Re: The Daxophone

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan

Stumbled across another Daxophone CD: see "Buben ... Plus" by Rüdiger Carl and Hans Reichel. The instrumentation is: concertina, accordion, violin, and daxophone Available on FMP.

Gee, I never would have dreamed of using that particular combination of instruments

Enjoy,

Grant
    ==============================
    Grant Green ||| www.contrabass.com
    Sarrusophones and other seismic devices

Talking Re: The Daxophone

Even though the flash heavy site is a little time consuming fun -- it is an interesting entry into the dadaesque (or Daliesque) mind of a creative person with a lot of technological creation time on their hands.....

Relax and navigate in liesure time....
    Last edited by chmara; 03-07-2006 at 05:16 PM. Reason: Spelling

wow - that site is frustrating - i agree with styxx

Yes, I didn't even get to what the point of that page was. All the animation is cool and all... if that was the point of the page. He at least should have had a function to skip it and get to the info. So I just closed it. Luckily I could see what was goign on with the other link above.
    Tim

Go Back to forum