• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Kontakt 2 unusable?

Kontakt 2 unusable?

I was about to splash out on K2 when I decided to have a quick look at the NI forum. Boy there seem to be a shedload of unhappy K2 users! Principal complaint appears to be the really high load on CPU to the point of it being unusable with anything more than a small number of instruments loaded. I was really surprised about this, not least because most K2 users posting to this forum seem really pleased with it. I'm not really interested in using it for anything other than a sample library player but would be interested in having views on the current state of play. Why the different perceptions of this product?

Re: Kontakt 2 unusable?

I think that for most products you will find opposing views, and you will find the same thing no matter which soft sampler you go with. Many people are having good results with Kontakt, although there seem to be problems with K2 as opposed to the earlier versions. There are a few good features (scripts for one) that either are not present in other software or not as easy to use. If these are your "bag" then you don't really have an option, but if not then you might have good luck with any of the market leaders.

FWIW I hate K2 and find it to be the most unstable and buggy software that I have ever used. I try to avoid it wherever possible, but on this forum (as opposed to NI's own forum) I seem to be in a minority.

Check out the info on this thread:

Standalone mode (as opposed to using it as a plug-in) seems to be much easier on the CPU load.

I think your analysis is spot on Daryl. Though I wouldn't go so far as not using K2.

K2 is a buggy program. It's not crashy but weird things do happen. The latest for me is that all the menus in K2 appear in reverse order and that I've lost the path to much of the included k2 library and the rebuild button doesn't really work that well. I'm trying to figure out if it was something I did but I can't seem to correct it. And another thing is that all the aux sends visually reset themselves but audiably they are still active. This throws me for a loop because after opening and reclosing I can't see where the little damn faders are set to so essential I have to reinitialize all of them.

The bugs creep in slowly. The first month K2 was bug free then little things started to happen here and there.

Also, K2 has some know issues with libraries designed around their own Kompakt players so that's a major hassle to figure out.

If I were to judge K2 now I would say it's biggest problem is that it's a time consuming CPU monster that does it's job but not without a fuss. I rather have a docile obient servent that did it's job well without all the back talk.

If I weren't in a hurry I'd wait to see what happens with the next update.

I'm a K2 user on a MAC dual 1.8 w/Dp4.6 and not a single bug-crash-cpu problem EVER. My other sampler was Mach 5 and I don't use it anymore. I just love K2. I do eat spinach every day and often save spiders and other bugs from certain death.

Ah, yes. Accumulating positive virtual karma never hurts matters.

Quote Originally Posted by dvincent
    Ah, yes. Accumulating positive virtual karma never hurts matters.

...nor having 4.5 gig ram

Talking Re: Kontakt 2 unusable?

Use K2.02 every day with nary a problem - P4 2.4gig w\3meg ram. I lead a charmed life I guess

I don't own K2, but have GS3.

There are many accusations about GS3 being problematic, but it's been rock solid for me. I'd imagine that it's about the same for K2.

Samplers really stress the system. People who have marginal hardware are certain to have problems with sampler software. And then there's the issue with PCs having such unique configurations. One flaky video driver can make anybody's software look like the culprit.

That's not to say that K2 is 100% bug free. No large software product is. If it crashes consistently for lots of users when they do XYZ, then it's likely the software. If the problems are random and all over the map, it might be the software, but might just as well be related to the hardware, or 3rd party stuff.

For either sampler, if you can get the specs of a system that runs well, and can copy it, you can be better assured of success. If you install it on some OEM job, or the components du jour, you might have some troubleshooting ahead of you.

K2's been fine for me. Gigastudio, on the other hand, was not.
    I remain solely responsible for the content of my messages, and agree to indemnify and hold harmless northern sound source, and their agents with respect to any claim based upon transmission of my message(s). Rock on.

Go Back to forum