• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20

Topic: GPO Ambience

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1

    GPO Ambience

    Is there a tutorial out there for the GPO Ambience? I want to get a good orchestral studio sound, but I have no idea how to manipulate the GPo Ambience.
    C. Foster Payne
    Amateur Composer/Orchestrator
    http://FosterPayne.com/default.aspx

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Canaan, NH
    Posts
    178

    Re: GPO Ambience

    FossMan

    I'm not the expert in this and am very interested in learning more from this thread, but I have been able to get acceptable results from Ambience by using ballroom 1 setting and turning up the "Dry" slider swich. I usually put it just above the default setting for the "Wet" slider, then bump the "Wet" slider down slightly. I'm sure there are more scientific ways to do this, but this has been okay for my purposes.

    Regards,

    Tim

  3. #3

    Re: GPO Ambience

    Quote Originally Posted by tcohen
    I have been able to get acceptable results from Ambience by using ballroom 1 setting and turning up the "Dry" slider swich. I usually put it just above the default setting for the "Wet" slider, then bump the "Wet" slider down slightly.
    Dude, you are totally awesome. Y'know I read this post and I though, "Nah, it can't be that easy." And so I spent about four hours this evening playing with the Ambience controls. Still, no matter how much tweaking I did I still had a very muddy bass sound. So, then I decided "what the hell?" and moved the dry slider up and... #$@#%$$%@#@%

    Boy did I cuss myself out for a good half hour for being so stupid. Fours hours of work solved in about 1.5 seconds. Genious!
    C. Foster Payne
    Amateur Composer/Orchestrator
    http://FosterPayne.com/default.aspx

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Canaan, NH
    Posts
    178

    Re: GPO Ambience

    Glad it worked!

    Regards!

    Tim

  5. #5
    Senior Member Tom Crowning's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    On the other side of the big pond
    Posts
    226

    Re: GPO Ambience

    Quote Originally Posted by FossMan
    [...]
    Still, no matter how much tweaking I did I still had a very muddy bass sound.
    I normaly exclude the bass (and other deep frequences like the drums) from
    the 'master' ambient settings and use different settings for them.
    If your software can't group single tracks together it's some more work
    because you have to insert ambient for each single track by hand, but
    often it's worth the time to do this.

    Tom

  6. #6

    Re: GPO Ambience

    For orchestral work, I generally start off roughly like this...



    Almost always, you want "Wet" back a few dB from "Dry".

    Careful with the "Predelay" -- too high, you lose your articulations and blunt the crispness needed in faster passages... too low, you lose fullness and body (more or less).

    Remember, these are just starting suggestions. You really need to tailor the settings for each piece of music, depending on instrumentation, tempo, etc.

    David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    -

  7. #7

    Re: GPO Ambience

    Quote Originally Posted by etLux
    For orchestral work, I generally start off roughly like this...



    Almost always, you want "Wet" back a few dB from "Dry".

    Careful with the "Predelay" -- too high, you lose your articulations and blunt the crispness needed in faster passages... too low, you lose fullness and body (more or less).

    Remember, these are just starting suggestions. You really need to tailor the settings for each piece of music, depending on instrumentation, tempo, etc.

    David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    -
    David,
    You were kind enough to comment on my Mendelssohn work-in-process. Maybe my courage does indeed exceed my skill at this point but it's an excellent learning experience. What Ambience setting would you recommend for this "solo with orchestra" kind of setup? I tried your recommended settings and it was indeed an improvement over the Ambience preset, but the violin does not sound warm enough to suit me and some of the orch. texture isn't clear...but then again, it isn't that clear on the recording I have, either . I've also been piddling with SIR and a couple other free reverbs that people recommended, and I did some repanning to move the orchestra more off-center. I'll repost when I get another 50 or so measures done. Advice gladly accepted!!

    Next: Hindemith

    Thanks,
    Jim
    Jim Williams
    Professor of Capitalism
    N9EJR
    Indianapolis Brass Choir
    All Your Bass Sus&Short Are Belong to Us.

  8. #8

    Re: GPO Ambience

    As I said, the settings (above image) are merely starting points... you need to tailor as you go.

    And Jim, I'm the last guy you should ask for specific technical advice on sound treatment -- around here, I'm practically renowned as the unofficial VTI (Village Technical Idiot).

    My approach to these things is to fiddle with all the twirly knob and slider things until I run out of patience -- and then call it a day... lol.

    The grand master at this is, undoubtedly, DPDan. [They say he's a strange-looking fellow, having had the ears of a bat grafted to his sternum -- which he proudly displays at any opporunity.] I'd say, read any comments of his you can find.

    I do hope you didn't take my comment differently than I intended it, by the way. That particular piece? Even world-class conductors get hives even thinking about performing it.

    Not that that should stop you from tackling it, not for one second. You're exactly right: You'll walk away from this carrying extremely valuable insights and experience.

    Can't wait for the Hindemith -- ol' Paul's an especial favorite.

    My best,

    David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    -

  9. #9

    Re: GPO Ambience

    Quote Originally Posted by etLux
    As I said, the settings (above image) are merely starting points... you need to tailor as you go.
    Yeah...I was just hoping to shorten the learning curve slightly & not re-invent (mod) wheels, he said, mixing metaphors



    Quote Originally Posted by etLux
    The grand master at this is, undoubtedly, DPDan. [They say he's a strange-looking fellow, having had the ears of a bat grafted to his sternum -- which he proudly displays at any opporunity.] I'd say, read any comments of his you can find.
    Well, from personal experience, I can state with certainty that Dan ACTS as strange as he LOOKS. Under NO circumstances should he and Styxx EVER be within 100 miles of one another again. They bring out the "be(a)st" in one another "

    Quote Originally Posted by etLux
    I do hope you didn't take my comment differently than I intended it, by the way. That particular piece? Even world-class conductors get hives even thinking about performing it.
    'course not! I know what you mean. I was at indiana U when Joshua Bell was there (Heck, I was at IU when William Bell was there). He played it with an IU orchestra.

    Quote Originally Posted by etLux
    Can't wait for the Hindemith -- ol' Paul's an especial favorite.
    Great tuba part in Symphonic Metamorphoses. (tuba part is,of course, the SOLE criterion by which orch. works are to be judged.) Piano accompaniment to tuba sonata is a killer.

    Jim
    Jim Williams
    Professor of Capitalism
    N9EJR
    Indianapolis Brass Choir
    All Your Bass Sus&Short Are Belong to Us.

  10. #10

    Re: GPO Ambience

    Side note: If you happen to have JABB, you might consider its brass for the Hindemith...

    I won't talk any more about DPDan, here -- far too risky.

    David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    -

Go Back to forum

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •