• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: BRUCE RICHARDSON - MIXER MIXER

Share/Bookmark

BRUCE RICHARDSON - MIXER MIXER

Hi Bruce

Love your advice. although everyone elses is very welcome.

I do not do too much live recording and would like a new Mixer for Christmas. I have a Wamirack 192(seperate system)

I also have to mention that I have the Roland SRv 3030 outboard reverb rack unit.

Anyone recommend a mixer that would give me good results with the above gear I mentioned?

The Behringers Eurodesks look promising.(anyone used this series? I am looking at the 16 channel with 4 busses.

Bruce anyone?

Caveman

Re: BRUCE RICHARDSON - MIXER MIXER

[QUOTE]Originally posted by caveman:
    [qb]Hi Bruce

[QUOTE]Originally posted by thesoundsmith:
    [QB]Not Bruce, but I definitely have an opinion (and that\'s all it is, feel free to ignore it...)

Go analog.

Hey Soundsmith, thanks for the ideas any spesific models you can think of?, especially for sampling? So that I can check them out?

Thanks

Caveman

Not Bruce, but I definitely have an opinion (and that\'s all it is, feel free to ignore it...)

Go analog. You state that don\'t do much live recording, so the additional learning curve is just added frustration. Mackie makes a nice line of reasonable analog boards, as do companies like Allen Heath, Soundcraft, even Tascam. But IMHO, Behringer is not the quality you want for creating samples. Not a BAD board, but they tend to add bells and whistles at the expense of signal to noise ratio. For your needs, it seems like a relatively straight-wire board (less features, better sound) will do nicely.

Dasher

I concur with Ernstinen on the \"older Soundcraft\" versus a new cheap Mackie. However, I would like to qualify some opinions about mixers in general. If you are only using the mixing console as a means to monitor a variety of sources, I think a Mackie or Behringer will do fine. I\'m using a tiny little MidiMan sub-mixer to monitor my sources.

The critical path for me is input and tracking. I\'ll use the best pre-amps and convertors I can con, rent, or borrow. Once my tracks are captured, I\'ll be in the digital domain all the way to the final mix stage so as long as I can get a transparent and acceptable signal-to-noise monitoring situation, I\'m happy.

See, the final mixes don\'t ever go through the console anyway as it is only used as a relative reference for my old school analog ears. They go to my mastering engineer in digital format straight from the two-mix bus out of Vegas.

After one or two mastering spankings you\'ll have a whole new understanding of how to proceed with your next gig. You might even find that you need a better monitoring system in order to achieve a
    better final mix.

That\'s my opinion anyway. For what it\'s worth.

Kevin

Ok Guys

Thanks for the advice.

So if I am going to choose the Analog mixer, I am looking at the following.

Please comment, or if you have experience with these boards or which will serve me well?

What mixer would you recommend? (Remember I can use my 4 mic inputs if I wanted to record with a Mic) Mixing will be more digital(samples, Midi Sound Modules. etc)

Behringer MX2004A
    http://www.8thstreet.com/product.asp?ProductCode=1280&Category=Mixers

Behringer MX1804X
    http://www.8thstreet.com/product.asp?ProductCode=3421&Category=Mixers

Behringer MX2442A Eurodesk
    http://www.8thstreet.com/product.asp?ProductCode=3423&Category=Mixers

Soundcraft Spirit SX
    http://www.8thstreet.com/product.asp?ProductCode=8663&Category=Mixers

(
    If someone could look at the specs on the above mixers and look at its strengths and weaknesses keeping my needs in mind I might just buy you one too!!(only kidding)

I would be forever gratefull!!

Please help me decide between these.

Caveman

look for a (nearnew) mackie on ebay!

Which ones would you suggest?

Caveman

Everything but Behringer, please... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Go Back to forum