• Register
  • Help

Topic: Changing Polyphony in GPO-Kontakt

Share/Bookmark

Changing Polyphony in GPO-Kontakt

Hi all,

About a year ago I posted a question regarding Timpani Polyphony. One of the solutions at that time was to decrease the polyphony in the GPO-Kontakt player (I use it as a plug-in) in DP.

I cant seem to figure out how to change the polyphony settings for the Timpani KS. I try clicking on its little desiganted area in the GPO-Kontakt interface and nothing happens.

What am I missing here? My current Timpani KS is set to 64 and Id really like to bring it down to 32. I searched the forum archives but came up empty.

AND..... 2nd question....

Is there anyway to effectively dampen the Timpani KS? It rings out for a terribly long time. That is, I want to simulate the effect of the player stopping the vibration of the drum head by dampening the membrane with his hand after a specified amount of time.

Thanks in advance!

Andy
    Phone: 917-327-0293
    Email: andy@andybrick.com
    Web: http://www.andybrick.com
    AIM: andybrick

Re: Changing Polyphony in GPO-Kontakt

Andy, I'm pretty sure you just click and drag on the polyphony number to increase/decrease it.

The damping of the Timpani is controlled by the sustain pedal (sorry.)

Andy
    I can change mine. mine is set to 13 as the polyphony number default.
    This is not the best solution, but shorteneng the "length" can help a bit - but it has to be used with a lot of care.
    Best,
    Jerry

MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5ghz 4GB Ram OSX 10.5.8
    Korg TritonLe & MAudio Oxygen 8
    T3, Logic 9, DP7, K2, GPO4, Strad, Gofriller, C&MB, Finale 2010

My Website!
    New Film Scores!
    Also, Ever think about having your very own personal documentary? See my new Website!
    http://www.mylegacyfilm.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry W.
    but shorteneng the "length" can help a bit - but it has to be used with a lot of care.
    Best,
    Jerry

That would be nice if that was available!!

Sorry. Didn't test that part out before I posted.

Jerry
    MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5ghz 4GB Ram OSX 10.5.8
    Korg TritonLe & MAudio Oxygen 8
    T3, Logic 9, DP7, K2, GPO4, Strad, Gofriller, C&MB, Finale 2010

My Website!
    New Film Scores!
    Also, Ever think about having your very own personal documentary? See my new Website!
    http://www.mylegacyfilm.com

Lightbulb Re: Changing Polyphony in GPO-Kontakt

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Burrell
    Andy, I'm pretty sure you just click and drag on the polyphony number to increase/decrease it.
    The trick is that Kontakt doesn't show that you selected anything. Just click the number and drag the mouse up or down: the number will change.

Grant
    ==============================
    Grant Green ||| www.contrabass.com
    Sarrusophones and other seismic devices

Just tested it (since I wasn't sure due to the wording of the manual) and the damping does work on the timpani using CC#64.

Hi Joseph, Jerry and Grant

Thank you guys for the quick responses.

You were right! My problem was that I was clicking not dragging...As soon as I dragged everything worked great.

Bad pun coming....

What a drag!

For me, CC64 doesnt do the trick since it only seems to dampen the note immediately following the controller info. If I have a series of 1/8ths on a single drum and then apply the damper cc64 just before the last note, only the last note is dampened. All the previous notes still ring out. Are you guys experiencing this too?

I did find, however, that with a little judicious CC7 work I was able to draw fades that effectively dampen the timpani much closer to what I was hoping to get.

Bad quote coming....

Most magic tricks are easy once you know the secret.

Thanks again guys

Andy
    Phone: 917-327-0293
    Email: andy@andybrick.com
    Web: http://www.andybrick.com
    AIM: andybrick

Andy,

I forget almost everytime when changing the polyphony the I have to click-drag.

I've run into the CC64 damping issue with the timpani and also the harp. It only affects the notes that are played with the pedal down. I end up using CC7 myself to do the damping on both instruments.

There is also weird issues with the how CC64 works with the celeste. The original release of GPO didn't have this issue. Somewhere along the line, Tom change the programming on it. I now get all sorts of weird things happening CPU wise with the celeste and with notes not sustaining properly.

Jim

Go Back to forum